Thread: First ADA sign order!

1. First ADA sign order!

Well, thought I'd report that I got my first order for an ADA sign this past week. I guess it's been almost a year since I attended Keith's ADA workshop, and I spent probably a couple of months after that adapting his techniques to what works best for me. I made a couple of samples, and had them laying around the shop. Visited an existing but fairly new to me client to deliver some samples of various materials and took one of the Corian signs along, which they spotted and asked "You can do Braille?" Why, yes I can!

So the order is for a single sign, using Rowmark laminate as a substrate as it is a replacement for an existing sign, so it's all laser, no CNC on this one, so the fabrication is simpler, and the price I quoted them is much better than they got elsewhere, and quite healthy for a single sign as well, so win-win there.

So.... my thanks to Keith, and Aaron for his macro.

It all starts with one (more if you're lucky!!!). I was in the same class. I had some trouble keeping material level at first but my last sample turned out good. I don't have a laser, so this is all CNC. I've been making some other items but need to get back to ADA. I made this sample last month and haven't handed out any samples yet but have shown it some. This is a design variation from Keith's baseline but same plaque shape. It is 1/4" corian, black Romark, and no ogee routing on the edge. I have pocketed metal keyholes on the back so it will set flush on the wall. It is also light enough to use velcro or tape to mount if desired. I cut all of the Romark with a 60 deg, .25" diameter V-bit and used a 1/8" end mill for the outline. I used an option of rounded corners on my BobCAD profile cutting so the edges aren't sharp.
    SAM_1858.jpg
    CAMaster Cobra X3 408 w/Recoil
    BobCAD V25
    Corel Draw X5

Precision Sign and Post
    Windham, NH

Rich,

Great Sign !!!! Hope you don't mind, I re posted your photo on the CarveWright Hobby CNC Forum in a post about ADA Signs on a CW. I directed CW Users to look here for more info on ADA.

I need to look into Keith's ADA training. I would like to add ADA to my abilities.

Good Job SOTOS... Samples SELL....

AL (Digitalwoodshop)
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".

No problem Al - I consider it a compliment. I'm pretty new to CNC so I've been getting my feet wet on several types of projects. I took Keith's ADA class last Nov and didn't even have a machine till Feb. Keith makes it sound super easy but any professional tends to make it seem that way.

Some challenges I faced were making sure the paint looks good and keeping the surface of the material level. You have to be careful how you clamp the material because even it lifts .01", that is a third of the Romark material thickness (used the 1/32") which makes for unclean cutting. I think that is where the laser has less sensitivity to issues like that. When painting, I generally need a 2nd cleanup application because you just end up missing areas. Make sure to look under good light. I've had pretty good luck with the braille balls sticking in with friction only. Corian seems great for holding those in. I haven't sold any ADA signs but I've made several other items from Corian that are now base products for me.
    CAMaster Cobra X3 408 w/Recoil
    BobCAD V25
    Corel Draw X5

Precision Sign and Post
    Windham, NH

Its nice to see you guys are moving along, the work will come if you promote it and don't forget to make customer samples with their logo engraved in them if you can. This is a big selling point.

I have been busy putting together a brochure for electrical and mechanical tags. I want to add these to the products I offer my ADA customers. When they are building a new building the electrical and plumbing contractors have a boat load of tags to provide, they should get their tags from me

I am working on a couple machining jobs for a local organization that I hope will bring in some monthly recurring work very soon, my retirement from CNU is getting real close so my marketing effort is becoming my number one priority and a contract to provide widgets on a regular basis would be a good one.

I need someone to teach me to use my recoil lathe. I haven't had a chance to work with the lathe yet.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 09-22-2012 at 6:17 PM.