Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much is a new Powermatic 4224A worth?

How much is a new Powermatic 4224A worth?

As the title says, how much is a new Powermatic 4224A (not the newer 4224B model) worth?
    I couldn't find what the going rate for it was.
    Anything about this particular (issues/concerns) lathe I should be aware of? I'm not a avid turner (but do turning occasionally) and
    would like to upgrade my junk lathe at some point.

TIA

I almost bought one a few years back that was like new and he wanted $2000. But I would say anything under $3500 depending on condition would be a good deal.

Alan.

I would say $4k is the avg asking price.. a gloat would be $3000 . $2k is a steal.. of course the deal is better when it comes with a bunch of items like; chucks, tool rests, extension, etc. I looked around for sometime and that's what been out there on CL or ebay. One just sold on Ebay for $4k and another is listed for the same and those are new. Just like the 3520B, they both don't come up all that often.

The only problem has been the remote on/off switch. It get's dusty and fails. Right now I just have the 2 wires connected on my 4224 but PM is sending another switch.

The one I'm talking about is New (the one on Ebay), but I'll probably have to pay for shipping the 1000lb machine (to here in Canada).

Just make sure their claim to 5yr warranty is valid. I would also say you want free ship as the ad says. I still think that is a good price. Can you do better? Sure if your willing to wait and see what condition the next 4224 is in. I would also suggest getting a hold of Sean at toolnut on a quote for a 4224B.. You'd be surprised how close you might be.

mreza,
    I assume this is the one you are referring to. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Powermatic-4...item589665597e. That seems like a good price and I thought about it. I have the 3520B, and decided it would do anything I needed and decided to pass on it. If you can get factory warranty, it is a great Lathe at a fair price. Good Luck.
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.

You're NOT an avid turner and you're thinking of getting a 4224? I could only dream of that. I've turned on one and it is a very nice lathe..... Not much to think about, put in a good bid. Now is a good time since the B is out. The B does have the sliding headstock, but with 24" of swing, do you really want to turn something bigger? If I were in the market, I would be bidding. Hmm, maybe I should bid. I won't miss my wife that much. Good luck and happy bidding!

I would think that the older A models would not be worth as much any more because the B is a considerable step up. For me, I prefer the sliding headstock, which the B has, plus some other bells and whistles. For the amount though, I would still take the Robust American Beauty.

robo hippy

You would need several friends that where well armed to haul my 4224 away for $4k. but that's just me.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

Reed, your not in the same ball field . 4224b is going to be about $6000. American beauty is at least that, so saying you would go to that is not even close. $2000 more is not just a small step.

Peter the 4224b is a lot closer to the AB price than you might think. I believe it is closer to 7500$.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Eaton View Post
    Peter the 4224b is a lot closer to the AB price than you might think. I believe it is closer to 7500$.
    That's the list price Russell, not street price. All you have to do is call Toolnut and you'd be suprised what he can do for a 4224B to your door. I am pretty sure that Robust pricing is fairly correct off their website. Except for some upgrade promotion they running now.

I bought mine local and ended up REAL happy. I know the 4224A has a fixed headstock and for that reason I waited till the "B" model came out. It is a great lathe, only a couple small changes that I would like to have.

Thanks, I had not noticed that the head stock is fixed. That makes it a bit awkward to turn bowls on for me (will have to go to the back of the lathe or use the out-board turning option).
    Free shipping is only for US and the quotes I've got for shipping to Canada (with lift-gate-service) are a bit high for my taste....

I had heard that there was an issue with technical/parts support in Canada. I may be getting Powermatic confused with Grizzly though. I have the 3520A and have never needed parts, but if the warranty is void outside the US?? That would make a difference.

Personally, I would pass on the 4224A and look for a 3520B instead. You are only loosing 4" of swing, but you gain the sliding headstock and most of the advances Powermatic worked into the 4224B. I personally, rarely turn items larger than 16 inches, but I am focused more on mugs and wine coolers than really large bowls.
    May all your turnings be smooth,

Brodie Brickey