Thread: Meet Max

Meet Max

This is Max the Schipperke.
    Schipperkes are a Belgium breed, also known as "little black devils", and they generally live up to that name. They're a big dog in a little package, curious, independent and fearless.
    In this pic he's about 6 months old. We had to make a visit to the vet for a little eye infection, and since I have about an hour commute to work, he spent the day with me at the office.
    On the way in he rode like a normal dog, sitting on the center console, but apparently the view from there didn't suit him so on the way home he jumped up on the seat back, and there he rode for the entire trip home.
    It doesn't look all that comfortable to me, be he seemed to like it.
    2012-07-20_17-19-016.jpg
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Handsome fellow! I've never had a dog, but I've always admired schipperkes. I like their attitude.
    Being well-read is not the same as knowing what you are doing.

Pleased to meet you Max. You're a good looking lad.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I've run across a couple schipperkes, not a common breed. Wonderful little tykes as far as I am concerned.

We lost Brandy, a mix breed, earlier this year. She was slightly smaller than a schipperke, but she too packed a big dog attitude. Brandy could not just lay down in the car during any ride, even if it was a two hour drive to the beach. Had to sit up and see everything. She would stand with her front legs on the console and rear legs on the edge of the back seat.

Schipperkes are the sweet spot in terms of size. Highly portable, inexpensive to feed and easy to care for.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

You didn't mention one of the interesting facts about schipperkes. They don't have tails. The only breed born naturally that way I think. Some of the hunting breeds have their tail "docked" or shortened because of it otherwise getting caught in the brush. And have their 5th toe removed for similar reasons because in rough brush they often get that toe caught on the brush and get cuts there. I heard nothing but good about schipperkes. Max, may like to go for rides. I had one who when we took her out, the first move she made was towards the car. That was her preferred mode of travel. My son took her out once in my MGB with the top down, some one drove up alongside and said: "I dated her sister once."

Schipperke's are born with a tail; it is usually docked at 3-4 days old, certainly in the US and Canada. Pups can be born with various tail lengths.
    And there was trouble, taking place...

Hi Max, nice to meet you. I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who doesn't crate an animal for a road trip. I took a sick cat to the vet last week. When the vet realized that the cat was going to ride home peacefully stretched out in the passenger's seat she nearly had a conniption. I realize that in an accident it may not be as safe, but this cat is virtually impossible to get into a carrier.

Max is a beauty.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

I have a Max as well but he is a Jack Russell. Yours seem to be enjoying himself on the ride. Must be nice to bring a dog to work with you. They can be smarter than a LOT of people that I work around.

Blog Entries
    Nice pup! Not sure I would be comfortable with him riding like that.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

I checked on the "tailess" part on schipperkes. They are sometimes born without tails. When they are born with them they are often docked shortly after. That I didn't know. Still the only breed with that distinction.