Thread: Auriou rasps

Auriou rasps

So as I posted about a week ago, I was in the market for a new mallet.

Well, thanks to more than a few of you, I decided to make my own. (Pics attached).

Since I needed to make my own mallet, I knew I would need to shape the handle. Off I went to Lee Valley (love that place) and bought a #9 grain and #13 grain Auriou rasp.

I was not expecting what awaited me.

These are probably some of the best rasps I have come across, and wow. . .are they super easy to control where you want them, what you want them to do, and how much you want them to do it. After about 45 minutes (I believe. Could have been 2 hours. I honestly have to say it was pure bliss using them) my handle was completed. Didn't touch the #13, only had to use the #9, and it left a smooth enough handle on QSWO that I didn't need to sand it down to use it at all.

Pics are attached of the rasps, Thor's Thunder Mallet with the shaped handle, and Thor's Thunder Mallet after the head was pinned down. After I'm done with my bench and needing to use it, I'll probably get a container, fill it with BLO, and let the mallet soak in that so I can be sure of a long lasting mallet.

Sorry, just had to share this new purchase. Generally I don't giggle like a 12 year old girl when I get new tools, but these rasps. . .wow. I was smiling the entire time using them because they were just that awesome.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The Barefoot Woodworker.

Fueled by leather, chrome, and thunder.

So, it wasn't you giggling like a 12 year old girl that caught my attention, nor Thor's weapon of mass destruction, but your subject title. I've been sitting on the fence about getting some of these, and you've sold me. I thank you!

Todd

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burch View Post
    So, it wasn't you giggling like a 12 year old girl that caught my attention, nor Thor's weapon of mass destruction, but your subject title. I've been sitting on the fence about getting some of these, and you've sold me. I thank you!

Todd
    Todd,

You will be happy with the Auriou rasps. I bought a 13 & 15 grain and will likely buy a few more in time.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)