Thread: Carob Crotch Bowl

Carob Crotch Bowl

Turning the african sumac hf yesterday was quite a chore, little by little my lathe has been losing torque and yesterday was bad enough that even light cuts with the hollower would slow or stop the piece.
    So when I got home today, I opened up the lathe and sure enough the motor belt was pretty loose. I replace the belts about a year ago with link belts, so I was able to just pull off the belt, take off a couple of links and slip it back on.

I went to the blank pile outside to find something to test the torque, and picked up this carob crotch piece. I could see that it had a big bark inclusion, and I figured it would probably be full of cracks, but I just wanted to see how big a bite the lathe would handle without slowing down.

I didn't take as big of cuts as I wanted to since it looked like the bark inclusion might go deep and I also found another big inclusion with a knot. I was able to take bigger cuts than I've been able to do in a long time and no hesitation or slowing .
    Except for the inclusions, the blank didn't have nearly as many cracks as I expected, it help up pretty well for spending the AZ summer outside.

It's 9" x 2 1/2", left a little thick to avoid flexing, finished with 1 coat of antique oil.
    PICT0001.JPGPICT0002.JPGPICT0003.JPGPICT0004.JPGPICT0005.JPG
    Thanks for looking!
    Comments and critiques are welcome.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Very nice little piece Kathy, you did good.
    If at first you don't succeed, Skydiving is probably not for you

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,
    But rather learning to dance in the rain

Really nice piece Kathy. Simple yet rustic.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

From your description, I was thinking "why bother" but you ended up with a neat looking bowl!

Great job on the carob bowl, and glad to hear your lathe is back in shape!
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!