Thread: 46-460 Shutdown

46-460 Shutdown

Was turning a pen and had been at the machine for an nour or so and all of a sudden it just stopped. Any suggestions on whaty could have happened and where to start the repair process other then the SERVICE CENTER.

I don't have a 46-460, but there should be a overload protection switch somewhere. If you have your owners manual, it's time to finally 'check it out,' if not, I'd do a search and get it off of the internet.
    Sierra Madre Sawing and Milling
    Sierra Madre, California

Don't have a 46-460 but other threads on here with similar problems on a 46-460 has usually been a bad switch, fwd/reverse if memory serves me right but could just as easily be the on/off. In a lot of cases simply blowing the switch out with an air hose has solved many of failures. I have repaired more then one switch on wood working equipment due to dust contamination.

"The best things in life are not things."

My 46-460 has never done that but I would start troubleshooting by resetting the overload switch. It is located on the upper right corner in the back of the control panel just behind and to the right of the red power switch.

Reset the overload switch and blow out the on/off switch.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Did everything recommended, nothing occurs. Lathe is 3 years old this month. Any other suggestions will be helpful and tried.

I removed the whole control box and tossed it in the trash, then replaced it with a sealed DC controler I bought from a guy on ebay whole works on treadmills. Now the lathe works perfect.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

Would you like to give more details Gary? I'd like to save the information since mine is not quite 1 year old. I know it is just a matter of time with all the problems showing up to others. These switches and controllers are the weak spot on an otherwise wonderful machine.

The guys email is------------tvmanjon(at)yahoo.com------ I have never meet the guy but he knows DC motors and controlers.

Thank you for your help Gary.....by chance do u remember the cost/part number.

I have a 46-460 but have not had any trouble with it, but with the speed control being a potentiometer that is either controling a Pulse Width Modulation circuit for the DC motor, the POT could have failed. You can check this by jumping the wires to it to see if the motor will run, if it runs you have found the problem. They can fail if you have been using it at a certain setting a lot and that point on the wire winding or metal resistance strip (Not sure which) could get carbon build up from dust potentially causing a poor contact point and small arcing could occur causing a hot spot. Not a super common thing but does not hurt to make sure, and just dust build up in the wires will cause the machine to stop. I guess I could go out to the shop and tear it all apart and figure it out, but my lazy boy has grip on me!

Also if a complete replacement of the conrol board is desired "Surplus Center" sells one that would work, and like Gary said the controller off of an old DC treadmill will run it too, just have to figure out what is what when you get the treadmill taken apart.

Good luck,

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

It cost me a couple hundred to replace the complete system but that was still better than tossing the lathe. I have seen several sold "not running" for little of nothing. Jeff added some good info--- if you know what you need "Surplus Center " sells a bunch of parts. I would stay away from the $20.00 bargain trash you find on ebay--- most of that won't last very long.

Mine died a few months back while turning a pen. Actually, its only been used for pens for about 98% of the time! So, it has not seen very much tough work. Anyway, I brought to a repair center and ended up with a new motor under warranty. I was surprised when it wasn't the switch.