Thread: really bad cutting

really bad cutting

I was trying out my new laser today and did get som super bad results.
    The engraving went yellow and not plecing at all and the vector cutting did not work at all. it did not get al the way down the material and it got this nasy burn you see in the photo.

I use a 40w Epilog EXT36
    The grafik is made in adobe Illustrator, I have use the same on a MacPro computer, glass, wood and a mirror with relly nice result.

This material is 5mm thick.

The setting I use was:
    Raster: speed:100 power:50
    Vector: speed: 10 power: 50 Frequensy: 5000
    the lens was 2,0

I was thinking that this material is not working in the lasser. since the al other material gives nice results.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (99.8 KB, 58 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (94.0 KB, 34 views)

Lake Tapawingo, a suburb of Blue Springs, a suburb of Kansas City, MO. The Kansas City you know is in Missouri.
    If I am not mistaken polcarbonate is same thing as lexan. It does not react well with laser, especially cutting. Plexi-glass is acrylic and it works well
    Tom Bull
    Epilog Legend, x3,X5, photograv, 30 year collection of misc. tools of all kinds.

Yep, no to Polycarbonates! Lexan is a brand name, there are a variety of others that make Polycarbonates.

You may want to research your products a bit as somethings will damage your machine as well as your health.
    Not every substrate works with a laser. PVC or any material made with Cloride is very dangerous.
    Last edited by Martin Boekers; 09-14-2012 at 5:37 PM.
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

For some reason a lot of people buy this thinking it's cast acrylic, the results are terrible, it's the worst stuff ever. It doesn't engrave very well and there is very acrid yellow fumes which come off it when it's cut.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Thats my thinking aswell, I did get this pice of Polycarbonates and did like to test it out but as you all can see in the photo thats aswell is in bad quality the result is horrible.

Lexan (GE Trade Name for Polycarbonate) drag engravers like butter and makes great engraving on glassware but is defininetly not intended for a laser.

and

make sure the acrylic is CAST not extruded. that is a set of new problems with crazing..........

Alro Plastics Product: Plexiglas® G (Cell Cast Acrylic)
    Last edited by Mark Sipes; 09-14-2012 at 6:49 PM.
    Mark
    In the Great Northwest!

Trotec Speedy C25, Newing-Hall 350 (AMC I & HPGL), NH-CG-30 (Carbide Cutter Sharpener)
    Sawgrass 400 Gel Ink Printer, CS5, 5/9/x6 CorelDraw

I have done a lot of cutting with it but never accept a job if over 1/8" thick, that yellow smoke and residue is nasty! Would never consider engraving it, but for some applications the customers need the strength. At some places that sell plastic sheet, like Home Depot it's easy to grab the Polycarbonite instead of the acrylic.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

I have had to engrave polycarbonate/motorcycle wind screens. Can not go to deep and usually make a series of passes. I have gone deep and the brown/yellow added to the 3D effect of the engraving.

Todays polycorbonate is safe for your machine and not toxic like yesteryears stuff.

Cutting I do not do.
    Doug
    For all that I know there is so much more to learn.