Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Appropos of nuttin' - Great coivers of blues/soul songs

Appropos of nuttin' - Great coivers of blues/soul songs

Happened to stumble across these in my shop laptop playlist after a number of months:

Three of the very best covers ever recorded. One man's opinion.

First - the opening of the Blues Brothers movie. Belushi had a surprisingly decent voice for blues/soul. Akroyd wasn't bad on the harmonica. And they had a world-class backup band.
    The Taj Mahal Classic: She Caught the Katy
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hB3eCv_FOk

Second - You may have seen the movie Standing in the Shadows of Motown: The Funk Brothers. If you did not see it, you should - Netflix, whatever. Astonishing documentary/bio of the backup musicians from Berry Gordy's Hitsville, USA studios. The quality of the musicians, and their life stories is too good to pass up. You don't need to be a Motown fan, you just need to appreciate music. So then, in that movie, they got together the musicians that are still alive, to tell their story. And, they re-orchestrated a number of classics. The best, by far, was this update of Jimmy Ruffin's What Becomes of the Broken Hearted with Joan Osborne fronting the band........if you know her more pop-type of work, this will astonish you.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gA0GcXV2njY

And last: The body of work by John Prine includes many classics - a lot of tragedy in his stuff, Vietnam era got him started. He was asked many years ago: "What is the best cover version of any of your songs?" Mr Prine: "That's an easy one. Bonny Raitt, Angel from Montgomery, no question." I've been lucky enough to see her perform this song live, three times, over many years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toJ3ZYWRh24

Who's got some other goodies out there?
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Kent....I bought the DVD "Standing In The Shadows of Motown" twice.....loaned it out after I became deaf...it didn't come home. Bought it again...won't loan it out....I was lauding it's music and a friend of mine in Minnesota....a Creeker....a DJ.....bought and is using it on his "Boomer" show....... Joane Osborne seduces my ears every time she sings "What becomes of the Broken Hearted". The lady can wail!

It's only recently with the aid of a cochlear implant and some really good Bose headphones that I have been able to hear and appreciate music once again.

Johyn Prine..........he's excellent.

Want another good album? Rhythm, Country and Blues........ R&B vocalists and Country vocalists backed by Nashville studio session musicians.....Incredible....Country songs done as R&B.....R&B songs done as R&B...... Imagine....Clint Black and the Pointer Sisters singing "Chain of Fools"......the man can get down...and I am not a country or Clint Black fan......Reba McIntyre and Natalie Cole singing "Since I Fell For You"...they play of each other wonderfully!.....Patty LaBelle and Travis Tritt "When Something is Wrong With My Baby"..the guy can wail! ...Sam Moore and Conway Twitty singing "Rainy Night In Georgia".....get the video....these pros despite their style differences do it with style and an appreciation for their differences................Great album!
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 09-13-2012 at 2:12 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Ya know I REALLY hate posts like these!!!

Seems I while away too many hours listenin' to the oldies. I'll be hitting 60 soon enough and can still picture where I was at in my life just by these "oldies".

Thanks Kent

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

If you like Bluegrass Rhonda Vincent is one of the best female artists if not the best. (more than one man's opinion)
    David B

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Kent....I bought the DVD "Standing In The Shadows of Motown" twice.....loaned it out after I became deaf...it didn't come home. Bought it again...won't loan it out....I was lauding it's music and a friend of mine in Minnesota....a Creeker....a DJ.....bought and is using it on his "Boomer" show....... Joane Osborne seduces my ears every time she sings "What becomes of the Broken Hearted". The lady can wail!

It's only recently with the aid of a cochlear implant and some really good Bose headphones that I have been able to hear and appreciate music once again.

Johyn Prine..........he's excellent.

Want another good album? Rhythm, Country and Blues........ R&B vocalists and Country vocalists backed by Nashville studio session musicians.....Incredible....Country songs done as R&B.....R&B songs done as R&B...... Imagine....Clint Black and the Pointer Sisters singing "Chain of Fools"......the man can get down...and I am not a country or Clint Black fan......Reba McIntyre and Natalie Cole singing "Since I Fell For You"...they play of each other wonderfully!.....Patty LaBelle and Travis Tritt "When Something is Wrong With My Baby"..the guy can wail! ...Sam Moore and Conway Twitty singing "Rainy Night In Georgia".....get the video....these pros despite their style differences do it with style and an appreciation for their differences................Great album!
    Ken, brudda........

So happy to hear......um, no pun intended.......that you can once again get into music. Me - I've had a pair of Bose quiet 2 for many years, because of my coast-to-coast airplane rides. I was a decade-long platinum guy, so always got to sit up front, but I rarely hooked up to the music system. Mostly leaned back, turned them on for the quiet feature, and snoozed. Now, however, They are on a hook by the bench. Pull the plug, and switch the gain to "hi", and rock out while the ROS + Fein are wreaking havoc.

So - it is your "ears" that Joan Osborne seduces, eh? Well, dude........OK.....if that's where you wanna make your stand, I'll back you up, but............
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Volden View Post
    Ya know I REALLY hate posts like these!!!

Seems I while away too many hours listenin' to the oldies. I'll be hitting 60 soon enough and can still picture where I was at in my life just by these "oldies".

Thanks Kent

Bruce
    Bruce - happy to help............

Look on the bright side - you can still remember where you were when these were new. Start making notes, dude............I'm neck-and-neck with you on the age thing, and that's what I'm doing .

For the record Kent......you both are young whipper snappers!

And you will never know how grateful I am to hear music once again.....recently I tuned one of my 3 guitars......and maybe today....I will try playing it....... I have put it off as I didn't want to be too disappointed...but maybe it's time to face the music......
    Ken

Ken -

Rock on, dude!!

Cut a video, and post it. Guarantee you it will be a big hit.

Whatcha play? Strat? Telly? Les Paul?

I have a pretty good collection and the CD that always makes me smile when it rolls around to it is Charley Musselwhite. I have a cartridge system seperated into moods, but blues are in the most.

Larry

I have Fender Power Jazz bass.....a Takamini Flat top.......and classical guitar I bought in Brunswich, GA in 1970.............
    Ken

But you are right....I am an old rocker!

I was playing bass and singing lead when the Beatles came across. I was so tired of playing Chuck Berry songs.....after playing Johnny B Good...3 times in one night....you wanna regurgitate! The Beatles....and British Invasion was such refreshing change!
    Ken

Ken,
    I've sat down three times in the past week to order Country, Rhythm and Blues off Amazon and I've gotten interrupted every time. By golly I'm going to get it done this weekend.

Kent,
    Angel from Montgomery . . . one of my favorites. I'm going to see Bonnie Raitt on the 13th of October. Can't wait, and hope she does this one.

I need to dig out some of my Blues CDs and listen to some Etta James and Bessie Smith. The Savannah Music Festival is a wonderful festival. Several years ago their Blues venue was a tribute to some of the original Delta Blues guys that were still alive. One of the gentleman was in his 80s, I can't remember his name right now, but I bought his CD. He was basically destitute, never made any money off his music back when, same with all of the performers in that show. Sad.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Blog Entries
    The Rolling Stones-The Harlem Shuffle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MSpx-89hTA

Ouch, Keith..............I had forgotten Butterfield for the past couple years..........my mistake. I'll get back in the game. Thanks.

I also gotta dig out my Mayall/Bluesbreakers stuff as well................