Thread: first segmented turning with picture this time

first segmented turning with picture this time

This is my first try at feature rings in a segmented turning. I purchased Malcolm Tibbetts feature ring DVD and his book both a very good investment if you are thinking of trying a feature ring. I have to admit that this is almost as close a copy of Mr. Tibbetts as I could get (I hope no copyright problems) It measures 25" tall by 16" in diameter. The red feature ring is actually an indian blanket but because I used two simular woods you need to look real close to see it. This took me around 150 hours. Things take quite awhile when you don't know what you are doing.
    I am building another indian blanket vessel with contrasting woods.vase.jpg

Very nice job. 150 hours us a huge investment

Beautiful piece for a 1st Allan, or for a 10th or 20th for that matter!
    Great Job!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Just beautiful. Well done.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

good to see more segmenters here..super first
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

This is really nice Allan, you did good for a "first", Good teacher that Tibbits guy.
    If at first you don't succeed, Skydiving is probably not for you

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,
    But rather learning to dance in the rain

I pretty much echo Jim's comments. Nice piece

Alan

Oh to have 150 hrs of spare time to spend on the lathe, one can only dream. it's a good thing you picked the little project for a first try. Looks very good to me!
    Darren in Oshawa

Allan, very nice job - no problem with any copyright issues. My only suggestion relates to the overall shape. In general, a continuous curve makes for a more pleasing shape. In your case, I’m referring to the unnecessary reverse curve near the base (I’m being really nic-picky). Welcome to the “dark” side.