Thread: Walnut Hollowform

Walnut Hollowform

I've been on SMC for quite a while and decided I should finally add something I have made. I enjoy all the turnings everyone has made and thought I should add my own. This piece of walnut was just a plain block of wood when I cut it. You can imagine my surprise when I started turning it and found it full of ants. The feathering grain also surprised me as it was not a crotch piece. It is about 6 1/2" wide by 7 1/2" tall. Critiques and comments welcome. I am not a photographer so I apologize for the pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That is a beautiful piece and the wood is awesome. You never know what you are going to get until you turn it. Well done.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Nice job on an interesting piece of wood with a lot of character. I have had some ask about the can of ant spray that I keep handy by the lathe for green or outside stored wood, and it looks like you have found the reason. Today when picking up some Hackberry, a friend was starting to grab a section that had an ant nest, but was discouraged and left it behind. Some are so deep that they do get by and you really hate to have ants loose in a shop full of shavings.

Very nice wood and form, Brad

Brad,
    It is sometimes wonderful what a group of insects can do to enhance a piece of wood for turning. This time it worked well. That is a very nice piece, now you should in turn thank the ants for their contribution .
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.

I agree 100% the lowly insect sure does nice work, now if I can just catch them so they don't make it from the shop to the house my wife would be happier. Great looking vase, and if you don't mind it just gave me insperation for a peice I just got.
    Darren in Oshawa