Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RIDGID Oscillating Edge/Belt Spindle Sander alternatives?

RIDGID Oscillating Edge/Belt Spindle Sander alternatives?

I see where this sander has mixed reviews online and wonder if there is an alternative option out there for a bench top edge / spindle sander in a similar price range?

Thx

The Rigid is a pretty good little machine for what it does. The table isn't real sturdy but for small pieces it's more than adequate. I have a big Oakley edge and State spindle sander but find I go to the Rigid more than I thought i would. I don't know you can expect much more from a benchtop unit you can actually lift. Dave

Blog Entries
    Agreed. I use my Ridgid way more than I thought I would. The vibration is a little disappointing but, for $200 and only 40lbs, it is a great little machine. I am glad I bought it as, I thought I really needed a spindle sander. Turns out I really needed an oscillating belt. Bought a large oscillating belt machine and the Ridgid is now used less but, it is still used. YMMV.

P.s. I spent more on belts for the large edge sander than the whole Ridgid sander cost so, its really not a side-by-side comparison.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 09-11-2012 at 10:42 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have been real happy with my Rigid and as Glenn said I use it way more then I expected.
    Lori K

I almost only use the spindle sander mode; the platen for the edge-sander version isn't quite flat, learned it the hard way after ruining a piece I was sanding.
    checked a bunch of other ones and all have the same issue.
    Eventually I'll get a dedicated edge sander and hopefully a bigger spindle sander, but for now this is what I can get/fit in my space and will live with it.

It's great sander for its spindle and edge.

But it has some limits.
    I do allot of bandsaw boxes. It barely can sand 2 1/2" thick material
    Its a great sander for smaller pieces.

I own the rigid and a 72x6" edge sander and use the little rigid more. The rigid lacks power for heavy sanding and I doubt the motor would last long if you tried but it is cheap, works well, and is surprisingly versatile.

Ditto to those above. This is the only powered tool I have ever - and likely will ever - buy at a BORG.

I am more of a casual user than some replies, but for what I need, and for only 2 bills, I have been very pleased.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Another satisfied Ridgid sander owner here. As others have said, I end up using it a lot more than I thought I would. Really handy little unit, really quick and easy to set up or change from spindles to belt. I really like how it has built-in storage for all of the accessories. It has its limitations, but for $200 you can't really go very wrong here.

Well it certainly looks like it is worth taking a chance on one!

Thx

Quote Originally Posted by David Kuzdrall View Post
    Well it certainly looks like it is worth taking a chance on one!

Thx
    It is a good tool. But not built like grandpas tools. Fill out the warranty card and register it. Youll be glad u did

I'm on my second one, wore out the first one (gearbox gave out), but I certainly got my moneys worth out of it. There is nothing else to compare it to, considering the price point and versatility. I really like that it takes standard 4x24 belts which are readily available at most stores in a variety of grits. Wish someone would come out with a higher quality and better made competitor, but then again you would probably pay a lot more for it. but for $200 you cant go wrong, and it has been that same price since it came out something like 10 years ago!

I've got one. One of it's big points is that I can pick it up and move it to where I'm working (I used it when doing some repair work to my wooden boat). It's a lot nicer than flipping the belt sander upside down and using that (which is what I was doing).

My Ridgid has been a boon to my shop. Just wish I could find belts that didn't "bump" a lot. I'm usin' Woodstock belts. Is there a better source?
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

It's been several years since I ordered any ,but had pretty good luck with Klingspor.Except once when they sent a 30 inch belt that was supposed to be closer to 30 feet for a stroke sander.Twice.