Thread: Nova Titan chuck inset?

Nova Titan chuck inset?

Does anyone have any ideas how I can use my newly aquired Nova Titan chuck on my lathe. The chuck has a 1.25 by 8tpi and my lathe is 1x8tpi. Nova does not have any insert that can be used with the Titan chuck.

Mike

Craft Supplies has spindle adapters for 1.25-8 to 1-8
    "So much wood - So little time ! "
    Past President Western Mountain Woodturners
    Past President Maine Woodturners

What Brian said, I have seen adapters at other vendors as well.

Brian
    If the chuck doesn't have an adapter in it then the body is a Z thread. Nova chucks all have Z threads (threads are Nova only an it is NOT a standerd thread ) if they are made to use a adapter.They have made some prethreaded chuck but only small chucks. That being said you should be able to buy a 1 x 8tpi adapter that will fit this chuck. I use a Titan all the time with a 1 1/4 x 8tpi adapter. Anyone who sells Nova should have the adapter you need.
    Hope this helps.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

Now I only have the old style Titan's, and I can remove and change the insert in them at will.
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

I have one of the new Titans and it is direct threaded 1 1/4 X 8. If you have one of the direct threaded ones, all you can do is use a spindle adapter as suggested.
    God is great and life is good!

Isn't the "new" titan chuck just the SN2 with bigger jaws?

No it has a 5 inch body and bigger innerds. The old Titan had a set of bigger power grip jaws that took 3 screws rather than the standard 2 screws they dropped that option with the new chuck but physically both the new and old chuck are the same size and look about the same.

Alan

Thanks everyone for the input. I will try the spindle adapter. I have it on order. I'll let everyone know if it works.

Mike

My Nova DVR is 1" x 8tpi spindle, Does not make sense to me that Nova does not have the Nova Titan to fit their most popular lathe.

Ian,

My DVR is 1 1/4"x8 and I have used a Titan on my lathe. I have never seen a DVR with a 1" spindle. Maybe a Canada thing but far as I know all the DVR's imported to the USA were 1 1/4"x8.

Alan

You are correct Alan, I must have had a Canadian Senior moment!!!