Thread: Woodworking things to see in Boston?

Woodworking things to see in Boston?

I'll be traveling to Boston in a week and was wondering if there were any recomendations for woodworking sites; stores, museums, etc.

The last time my wife and I visited Boston, we stayed in an apartment directly next door to the Thomas Moser studio. It's directly across the street from the Boston Commons. For a woodworker, it was very cool to see the workmanship. I'd definitely check it out...

http://www.thosmoser.com/showroom.de...showroom_id=25

- Keith
    "Listen, here's the thing. If you can't spot the sucker in the first half hour at the table, then you ARE the sucker. "

The North Bennett School is worth checking out. They have a small show room of student work (some of which is museum quality) and a limited selection of specialty hand tools (for example luthier planes) for sale. http://www.nbss.edu/
    You might want to contact them to get a tour of the facilities. We just walked in on a weekend and couldn't see a lot.

Gloucester is just up the road ("site" of the perfect storm) and has the The Cape Ann Museum with some truly fine examples of early American furniture.

Randy

There's been articles here on the woodworking involved in maintaining Old Ironsides. Think huge timber-framed building that floats.

How about Hancock Shaker Village and Plimouth Plantation?
    ‎"A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well." —G. K. Chesterton

I'd make it a point to visit the new American wing of the Boston Museum of Fine Arts. They have lots of great furniture from different eras and different places. A whole room dedicated to the Goddards and Townsends! Some Seymour pieces too. I don't know if is a permanent exhibit or not but they had a great show of Traditional Chinese furniture that was very interesting.

Hancock Shaker Village might be too far away for you. It's about a hundred miles west of Boston and is closer to Albany NY than Boston.

Enjoy Boston!

Ken

If you have a car, take a drive down the Pike to Old Sturbridge Village. Less than an hour west of Boston. Norm based several of his shows on pieces he found there. Well worth a visit both for woodworking and to learn about life in New England after the Revolutionary War into the early 1800's.

Greg

Let's not forget the relatively new American wing at the Museum of Fine Art. There is an entire section of furniture, including a nice display showing chair designs over time.

---Mike

If you are interested in something hands on, there is a guy just North of Boston that has a hobby shop.

He is just a hack - but there is always some sanding to do.........

I forget the name of the place, but they build and restore old wood boats. Very cool to see these guys working a gigantic beam through their gigantic band saw.

Try the Peabody-Essex museum - but don't wait until Halloween like we di.

No so much woodworking, but nice selection of American paintings.

http://pem.org/

For anyone that has not driven in, or around Boston - don't do it on your first visit.

The T is safe, fast, and requires no parking fees.
    If you want comfort - pay the premium for a cab.

I find Boston very much a walkable city, particularly after the rush hour.

http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/subway/

+1 on the North Bennett street school, call ahead to arrange a tour.
    The cool stuff is in the section where students are completing their studies.

"Let's not forget the relatively new American wing at the Museum of Fine Art. There is an entire section of furniture, including a nice display showing chair designs over time."

So Mike, did I use invisible ink? Laughing!

Ken

Boston Museum of Fine Arts, Gallery Naga, Fuller Craft Museum in near by Brockton would be my choices. Look up their websites...