Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Doug Thompson Tools

Doug Thompson Tools

Well I finally saw the need to pick up a couple of new tools so I hopped on the bandwagon here and got in touch with Doug. I got the 3/8 detail gouge and the 1/2v bowl gouge. I was going to do a rock maple handle for each but the maple didn't have nearly the curl I had expected it to have. So, the detail gouge got a 13" maple handle and the bowl gouge got a 16 1/2" Brazilian Cherry handle. The cherry handle is laminated and was a real son of a gun to turn but I really like the heft of it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tony

"Soldier On"

Very nice Tony. I stopped over at Doug's place last fall and had a nice visit with him. He's really getting set up good and doing some pretty interesting stuff in tool making. I went home with those very same gouges that you have there. He gave me a Thompson handle for the 3/8 gouge but I have yet to turn a handle for the 1/2".
    I think I'll go with lots of heft like you've done here.

Been using the 3/8" a bit lately...geez, that thing's nice.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Congrats on your new tools Tony! Handles look great!

I use Monster handles with my DT bowl gouges and have one filled with BBs and the other with lead shot. Sure helps absorb vibration!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Very nice, Tony. You are going to like those.

A DT bowl gouge is the very next thing on my agenda. I have worked my way through the useful life of my benjamin best starter kit and really need an upgrade. I seriously doubt I want to make my own handle, so I may opt for on of his handles too!

Nice, Tony! I have worked my way up to about 10 Thompson gouges and they are the only way to go. I still need to make a handle for the scraper though. Maybe your post will get me out in the shop.

Tony, I just recently got another Thompson 5/8" V gouge on Steve's recommendation. It is waiting on a handle as we speak!! Congrats on yours!
    Last edited by John Keeton; 04-19-2011 at 12:21 PM.

Nice tools and handles Tony. Not to derail this thread but...John, my 5/8 Taylor V gouge is getting shorter since I use it on almost everything I turn. I will be replacing it in the not too distant future. Was leaning toward the Grumbine version Doug sells. Recommendations??

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    Congrats on your new tools Tony! Handles look great!

I use Monster handles with my DT bowl gouges and have one filled with BBs and the other with lead shot. Sure helps absorb vibration!
    I use the same set up on my 1/2 U and V and a really huge scraper Doug didn't have on the website, but just sitting around. Wouldn't trade 'em
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

oh.. me too! I was going to email you Tony... I was having a stressful week of sitting home with the broken foot and on Friday I decided to give myself a little
    "pick me up"... Got a 5/8" V Bowl and a 5/8" Spindle. Grumbine recommended 5/8" V at lunch.
    IMG_20110418_131313.jpgIMG_20110418_131330.jpg

Got to use these after lunch today. Never bought a tool I could use right from the maker before. Nice. On the detail gouge I really like the "meat" that Doug keeps under the flute. Give some very nice support to the cutting edge. I wasn't sure about the bowl gouge as I am used to using a couple of Crown Pro Pm's with a bit more heft to them. Well, after just one bowl I can say that I have no doubts that I'll be keeping and using this quite a bit. Like most of the rest of you I see more of Doug's tools making their way to my shop.

John H. - last fall and still no handle on the bowl gouge? Blasphemy.

Lee - making the handles is no biggie at all unless you just don't want to be bothered with it. Took about 45 minutes to do these two.

Peter - holding out on me huh? not good.

Baxter - you can get the Grumbine version from Doug or from Bill, same price I believe. Also, if you order from Bill he will also make you a handle, extra of course. He makes quite a long handle for his gouge. When finished he calls it the Pennsylvania Long Gouge. It's almost as long as my .22 rifle.
    Tony

"Soldier On"

Funny thing Tony, I ordered them this past Friday and got them Monday.

Wow - so quick to ship and do the little custom engraving too!

I was shocked when the boxed arrived... I hope I can try these out next week, maybe for an hour if the foot is ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony De Masi View Post
    ....John H. - last fall and still no handle on the bowl gouge? Blasphemy....
    I have an excuse.

It's not much of an excuse...but...still
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Baxter, I am not sure of the flute profile on the Grumbine gouge, but I imagine it might be somewhere between the V and the U. I love the V gouges. My 1/2" Thompson V has been great, and was plenty of tool for the Delta. The Jet has enough HP and torque to handle the 5/8" with no problem.

You should call Doug and ask him about the Grumbine tool - I know it is a HOSS! Big sucker!

Tony
    Looking good,know you'll love em. I just visited Doug can't find a nicer guy and not many manufactures that let you see the product made.Have 11 gouges and a skew and still going.