Thread: What Miter Gauge Fence Material To Use ?

What Miter Gauge Fence Material To Use ?

I feel a little foolish asking this, but …. for someone without a jointer or planner (to tune a flat miter fence), what would be my best choice for a TS miter gauge fence material. My first thought was ¾” MDF, but I’ve read a couple of discussions that recommended plywood. I’m thinking about either routing a T-slot or adding a metal track for a stop block and whatever else I might need.

I had permanently screwed my existing pine wood fence to the miter head, but I was thinking that having a T-slot across the back wouldn’t be a bad idea to allow for sliding it from left to right.

Any thoughts would be appreciated …. Tom

Blog Entries

Maple

I just made one following a plan in a shop jigs booklet I got from one of the woodworking magazines. It has a t-slot on top for a stop block, and t-slots for the mounting so you can move it close to the blade when cutting angles. When I get to Rocklers it will also have a scale added to it so the stop block can be set to a dimension easily. The T-bolts were just 1/4-20 brass toilet anchor bolts from Lowes. It is made of two 5/8 thick piece of maple glued so the grain is opposing the other piece. Mine was 24" long and about 3" tall. So far I really like how it has turned out.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Lee,

Thanks ... that sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. Was the article in a recent magizine ? Can I just use the store bought (milled) maple ? With the two 5/8" pieces, that would (???) produce a fence 1 1/4" thick ... sounds like it would be pretty solid.

Thanks again ... Tom

Tom---You might be hard pressed to find an absolutely straight piece of any sort of wood in a store. I was in the same boat as you, without a jointer or planer, ended up getting an aluminum fence extension from Wood Haven, though many other outfits make them too. If you have a friend who could true your board for you, that would be another option.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

MDF or Maple

I usually use 3/4" MDF for jigs and fixtures - flat and cheap. On my Incra fences, the 3/4 inch material works very well, as the Incra products have stops that will work with or without a 3/4 inch sacrificial fence. MDF works really well for zero clearance sacrificial fences on the router table too. I have used maple on occasion, and that also works very well, especially if you are making a permanent fence that will not be cut or damaged during use.