Thread: Lock miter bit set up on 5/8" stock

Lock miter bit set up on 5/8" stock

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...2&site=ROCKLER

I have this lock miter bit. I have a self made jig for 3/4 stock. I wanted to make some drawer boxes for a cabinet, can I use this with 5/8" stock?

Thanks for any help.

Brian

I have always used the cheap shaper cutter version,which will go down to 1/2 inch. Looking at the photo,I think it will work. ITs easy for these cutters to tear off a big strip on woods like maple,cherry, or birch. To prevent that use a. 1/4" or. 5/16 round over bit to lose the corner that will be inside the box. That step must be done by "climb cutting" ,( running the feed backwards) DO NOT ATEMPT TO CLIMB CUT WITH THE MITRE CUTTER.

Blog Entries
    I see now problem using the bit on 5/8" material. Just center it for the different thickness.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

That looks like the smaller of the two lock miter bits being offered so you should have no problem with 5/8" stock. As mentioned, just center it and you'll be good.

Its 1/8 different than what it is designed for so just lower it by 1/16" in your router table and you should be good to go

The link you posted has a video, which states it can be used on 3/4 or 5/8 wood.

Rick Potter