Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

4 Sep 2012

Wow, where did August go? Well, I can say that I am glad it has come and gone. I'm past ready for cooler weather and I'm very thankful for the rain that was brought to us by Isaac.

I spent the weekend doing things around the house and spending time with my family. The day job takes a lot out of me these days and my time with them suffers at times, so I do what I can to make up that lost time with my family.

I lost a good friend of mine this weekend. Scot was a good man but he suffered from Lou Gehrig's Disease. He was diagnosed with it just a few years ago and it was aggressive enough to finally take his life this past weekend. He was 48 years old. A devoted husband, father, leader, and friend. Scot Worthington, you will be missed by all your family and friends. My prayers for the wife and daughters he left behind.

Back to the grind for me today, so what did YOU do this past holiday weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Spent the week-end attending my neice's wedding in Bridgewater, N.S. Wonderful time and good weather for a country barn reception and dance. Toured the neighbouring town on Sunday, and stopped into a couple of antique shops. One in particular had some very old hutches, tables and desks in excellent style. The owner said a lot of his crafts came from the Atlanta, Georgia area. Of course my daughter was with us and made note of more things to build. For me of course. Just may go back there and take a bit more time looking. Greg

LOML and I left right after work Friday and drove to Wooster, OH and spent the night. Saturday morning we drove down to Millersburg and picked up a bed we ordered from an Amish furniture maker. We got back home Saturday afternoon after a few stops. Sunday morning I sprayed about 2/3 of my face frames with shellac and started cutting sheet goods for boxes. By Sunday evening I had almost all the lower box parts cut. Monday morning I started spraying the top coats on the face frames, cutting dadoes and rabbets on box parts. By the end of the day I had 6 boxes assembled and the faceframes sprayed with 3 coats of finish.

This morning I got the 6 finished boxes mated with their face frames before work. 11 to go.

IMG_1534.jpg

Matt, I've noticed you don't take many week-ends off in general. Its great being a woodworker, isn't it? If we are not actually building one at the time, then we are certainly planning the next one in our heads. I like your use of the corner gusset in the carcass construction. Sure makes it easy for drawer guide assembly with nothing to bang the old noggin' on. Greg

I'm not usually as busy as in the past few months. I told LOML I'd shoot for having the kitchen done for Christmas though. I just did the gussets on the sink base. Usually I do a 3" wide strip front and back.

I worked on fine tuning my home made folding extension table for the tablesaw, and also started making up the mdf router table/extension wing for the saw that I welded up from 1 inch square tube that spans the extension bars from the saw. I got tired of table sag.

Monday I got up at 3am and drove from fort worth to houston to pick up a pm2700 shaper. It was a long drive, but I got a nearly new condition pm2700 with power feeder for 2k. The only thing I need to fix on it is the bar connecting the crank to the built in mobile base needs to be replaced. A 20$ fix. I theb ordered a lot of knives and and cutter heads today and a new pf31 power feeder from powermatic. I am going to sell the feeder that came with the shaper to my brother and step up to a 1hp feeder. A busy and productive weekend.
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

Got the wiring ran for my compressor and Dust collector. Ran both lines through a contactor setup with a wireless remote for the DC, just a wall switch for the Air Compressor.

Now I need to run the copper for the air distribution.
    Cheers

J
    o
    h
    n
    ________

Stupid Hurts.............

Spent more time and effort sanding and mudding the living room wall repair. Cut and started installing the wooden runners for the drawer slides for the miter saw / mortiser station cabinet. Discovered AFTER checking and double checking that I have no clue how to measure pnuematic nails, and I REALLY need to wear my prescription lenses in the shop under shop glasses... Somehow I measured 3x 1.25" nails that protruded substantially through 2 layers of 3/4" ply... So I went with screws and glue... My weekend isn't officially over though, I have tomorrow to grab some plywood, and finish up with the drawers...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

It was a weekend for a lot of little projects:
    1. Began restoring a new base for my overarm router.
    2. Added a new flat belt to my tenoner.
    3. Build a replacement cabinet drawer for my sister-in-law, who'd got a "good deal" on Craigslist.
    4. Modified and installed a PM 66 guard on my PM 65.
    5. Completed a guard for my jointer. It had never had one before.

And cleaned and cleaned and cleaned my shop...

Kirk
    Attached Images Attached Images

My weekend's done. The sanding is about half completed, I had to redo a section that I messed up on BAD... I have the drawer slide pieces installed on half the cabinet, and started building drawers before the heat in the shop drove me out. I have to hurry to get the rest of these slides done, and the drawers built. I can then finish getting the junk out of the totes and get those put away, then I move on to stripping drywall off of the garage walls so that the power can be run... Probably get LOML to help with that project. She may like it...

Chances are good I am going to at least paint my drawer fronts. None of the grain matches as I made them from mismatched cutoffs, so paint would be the most merciful way out of this ordeal...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...