Thread: The Great Cleanup of 2012 - The end is near

The Great Cleanup of 2012 - The end is near

Haven't decided wether it's the end of the cleanup that's near, or the end of me .
    But I think 1 or 2 more sessions just might see it done.

The cleanup is done all the way back to the end of the tablesaw .
    2012-09-02_17-03-053.jpg2012-09-02_17-04-033.jpg
    And when I cleaned out the junk between the lathe and the planer, I ended up with a nice little niche, so I built a nice little holder for my gouges that fit right in. The base has been hanging around taking up space, and I have a bunch of rounds that my dad made, so all I needed was a lazy susan thingamajig and I was in business.

2012-09-02_17-04-54_653.jpg
    This is all that's left to cleanup. Somewhere underneath all of that stuff is a planer, a shaper and a jointer.
    2012-09-02_17-05-047.jpg
    Thought about trying to finish it up tomorrow, but I think I'll take the day off.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Looking good Kathy,
    At least the end is in sight, you have got a lot more done than I have.

Wow, do you ever have a lot of great stuff! It will be really nice when you get it all organized and uncluttered.

Kathy,

I am happy for you to see you progress so much. I know how you feel but once you get it all done you are really going to enjoy the space so much more. Now you just have to keep it that way. I always find myself going back to my old ways and I have to tell myself how much more I like a reasonably clean shop.

Alan

Nice to see that the end is in sight. Many's the time I have cleaned up and made a determined effort to put things away where they belong only to fall back into my old, messy ways. Here's hoping you are not a repeat offender like so many of the rest of us.
    Call me Jim, James seems so stuffy.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

can a shop be so clean as to be unsanitary

That's totally revolting. The only part that looks good is the last pic... How long to you think this "phase" will last?
    Last edited by David DeCristoforo; 09-03-2012 at 9:15 PM.
    David DeCristoforo

Kathy
    Congrats on finding the end, I'm sure you'll love it when it's all done I know I did. But the bad part is just starting,that's keeping it at lest sorta clean.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

It is looking good. Your lathe gouge rack looks good, but I expect that you will be doing a remake in the future with more holes and possibly different height for easier acces to the interior tools. I am looking for a rolling base to do something similar since my horizontal racks are now full and there always seems to be one more tool out there.

Thanks everyone! I'm looking forward to it all being done, and I've actually been pretty good about cleaning up after myself. The only problem I've run into is trying to find where I've put things! I think I'm going to have to label the totes and storage boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post
    That's totally revolting. The only part that looks good is the last pic... How long to you think this "phase" will last?
    I've seen pics of your shop David, so that's a little like calling the kettle black . At least the lathe is still nice and encrusted with oil, CA and whatever else has dripped on it. Just pray that I don't get a notion to give my lathe a fancy paint job to go with the clean!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Canfield View Post
    It is looking good. Your lathe gouge rack looks good, but I expect that you will be doing a remake in the future with more holes and possibly different height for easier acces to the interior tools. I am looking for a rolling base to do something similar since my horizontal racks are now full and there always seems to be one more tool out there.
    Thomas, I really only use about 4 or 5 of the tools with any regularity so if I ever need more room, I can just pack up anything I haven't touched in the last year. My only problem with the design is that I bet it would hurt if I ever tripped an fell on it, but it's location should keep that from happening .
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kent View Post
    Looking good Kathy,
    At least the end is in sight, you have got a lot more done than I have.
    I have no doubt that you'll catch up and then surpass me in the near future!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Kathy, I congratulate you, your shop looks like it's never "used" And keeping with with DD's comment above I once
    saw a sign in a friends shop that read..."A clean shop is a sure sign of a sick mind" Now that is one sign I need for my shop!!
    If at first you don't succeed, Skydiving is probably not for you

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,
    But rather learning to dance in the rain

Looking good, have you found more room than you thought you had? lathe stand-like the stand-handy tools keep mine from falling off the lathe. Pretty neat for the size of your shop.

Looking pretty good Kathy. I need to start on mine soon. lol
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.