Thread: Powermatic band saw model 2013-3 (swap out 3-phase motor?)

Powermatic band saw model 2013-3 (swap out 3-phase motor?)

Got a lead on a Powermatic band saw model 2013-3 (3-phase) on Craigslist for $900. Anyone know if the 3-phase motor can be swapped out for a Powermatic single phase motor and fit properly?

Just add a Teco FM50-203-c or Hitachi x200 022NFU2 3hp VFD and have a variable speed bandsaw.
    Last edited by Mike Heidrick; 09-02-2012 at 9:10 PM.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Mike: I'm not familiar with the products you mentioned. Will they allow me to run a 3-phase motor on single phase power?

Yes sir. That is exactly what they will let you do and the model numbers I gave you are sized for 3hp motors. You can also varry the speed at the same time. Also do a bunch of other things like set the total time that the motor comes up to speed, set the max and min speed, rotation direction, set how fast the motor stops, allow you to wire in other emergancy stops and a bunch of other awesome possabilities. Price is around $185 for the teco and the Hitachi is ~$250. The hitachi has a Pot (think dial) on it for easily setting speeds.

Also Tom, if you ever plan to get other 3 phase equipment, you could go with a rotary phase converter (RPC) and, if sized correctly, it will supply enough 3ph amperage to drive 3 motors of the same or less hp. So for a 3ph bandsaw you would install a 5hp rpc. If it was me I would put in a 10hp rotary phase converter and be sized for most any normal woodworking tool.

Just another option vs a VFD (variable frequency drive or AC drive).

A pot can be added to the Teco as well, just so you know....

Mike: Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions. I had no idea you could turn single phase into 3 phase so inexpensively. Love the "creek"

Tom NP and you are not alone. That's why those in the know get the great deals on those 3ph tools!!

In case it might be helpful, here is a thread in which I showed how I run my 3-phase bandsaw using one of those VFD's:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...VFD&highlight=

Anyone here ever ground the shaft of the motor when using a VFD ? Just wondered if it was something anyone cared about .. lol

The theory is that the VFD creates an electric current to run through the shaft of the motor and eventually destroys the bearings.. I am sure its a " thousand hours " thing..

I ask because I am going to install a couple of them in the next month .. I have them here, just being lazy .. One is a lathe, other is a planer .

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Fisher View Post
    Anyone here ever ground the shaft of the motor when using a VFD ? Just wondered if it was something anyone cared about .. lol

The theory is that the VFD creates an electric current to run through the shaft of the motor and eventually destroys the bearings.. I am sure its a " thousand hours " thing..

I ask because I am going to install a couple of them in the next month .. I have them here, just being lazy .. One is a lathe, other is a planer .
    The spindle/shaft/body of my 2.2kw Chinese water cooled electrospindle is grounded. I use that with a Gecko CNC controller input and a script in Mach software to auto set my Z height when it contacts a PCB on top of my work and in my cnc bed. All the rest of my 3ph motors are also grounded to the normal grounding screw. I just guess that the spindle is grounded as metal touches somewhere all around. All my 3phase motors get 3 hots and a ground from the VFD/Ground.