Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A Gloat-SWAT winning raffle Ticket

Congrats Jim!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Congrats Jim, that lathe is SWEET!
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

Kelvin, good to hear from you and thank you & Mrs. Burton for joining us at dinner. I think you two brought good luck! And yes, Scott & Yo were excited!
    If at first you don't succeed, Skydiving is probably not for you

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,
    But rather learning to dance in the rain

Alan, I did try it out yesterday afternoon, got it "dirty" it turns very nicely, good machine. Thanks again for the help loading, Scott & I could have not done it by ourselves.

Kathy & Rick....Thanks so much for the kind words, they're appreciated.

A little birdie (and I do mean little) had told me about this! Didn't see the post 'til now, though. Congrats, Jim. I think you needed this like you needed another hole in the head, but when it comes to another lathe, what does NEED have to do with anything? Couldn't have happened to a better person.
    I drink, therefore I am.

What Jim hasn't told you was the disappointment that he (or anyone at our table) had from not winning anything. Time after time the numbers were called and no dice for any of us. Then at the last minute, the numbers started to "fall into place". Although Jim's eyesight must have been failing because he sat down thinking his tickets weren't in the running now. I glanced down and told him to STAND BACK UP because he had a series of tickets that WERE in the range. What excitement when there was only one more number to call and he was still standing! I grabbed the tickets and saw that he had the last numbers between 1-7......so any number falling in that zone and WINNER!!!.. I can't remmeber for sure what the winning last number was but I think it was 6. Everyone cheered and high fived each other and Jim couldn't believe it. So cool!

We had to disassemble it to get it into his mini-van and I found out that I was too stupid to realize that the headstock was really as heavy as I thought, but rather still connected to the motor via a large belt! DUH! Alan Trout was there to help and take the belt loose! Either way, the Vicmark is a nice lathe and now he's got two really nice lathes!

Congrats again Jimbo (your disqualified for next year!)

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention that Jim won a giant yellow mallee burl cap and when he got home he boxed it up and sent the darn thing to me! Woot! Wood gloat!
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Shoot! I was about to say that since he won that priceless mallee burl, he could spread the luck out a bit and send me the lathe. But since he already gave you the burl, Scott, I guess he'll be keeping the lathe...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Considering that you offered to sell me your ticket for $1.00 prior to the drawing, I ought to at least get to turn on it one time!
    JW

That's an awesome story! That makes it that much cooler!
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

John, why don't you and Charles come up and visit. That way I can get both of you started turning those
    crazy Native American Baskets. You each would have a lathe to use and I could watch and learn.
    Think about it. Thanks to all for the kind words.

Jim - I am extremely happy for you! Congrats on your big win! Your new lathe looks right at home already! Have fun!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Way to go Jim!! How many tickets did you have to buy to assure success? I remember many of the SWAT gang dragging along yards of tickets!

Congrats on the winning ticket. I think it was well worth the trip.

Thanks again guys, Jamie, I purchased $20 worth of tickets, of course it only takes a $1 ticket to win I guess!! I was a very lucky person!! On another note, the
    guy that won both lathes last year also won the Powermatic lathe this year. SWAT changed the rules after last years debacle: No person/family will be allowed to win both lathes.