Thread: A better notch cutting saw than an RAS or table saw?

A better notch cutting saw than an RAS or table saw?

Is there a type of saw (other than a radial arm saw or table saw) that can use a dadoo blade and cross cut notches in 2x4 and smaller stock?

I have a sliding miter saw, but accurate depth adjustment on this type of saw isn't easy. It's wonderful for making through-cuts, but not for notching and I doubt it would hold a dadoo blade.

I have a radial arm saw, but the depth adjustment on this saw isn't easy either, plus it's hard to keep the table and saw aligned, plus I don't need a saw that's so powerful - it's just makes the job scary. It also takes up a lot of floor space.

I have a table saw and I agree that a table saw is useful for notching. A router with the right jig and better depth adjustment that most routers' would also work. I'm just curious if there a type of notch cutting SAW that I don't know about. (I don't know about all the fancy kinds of European saw, for example.)

Some kind of router jig?

You need either a better RAS, or a calibration of your present one.
    The RAS is one of the most accurate saws you can have.
    What RAS do you have?
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Here's Festool's router setup for Dados:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5Fd8YGRzX0

Sit down before checking their prices!

That would be a "hauncher / notcher"
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

I have a Safety Speed Cut dado machine that uses a 3 1/4hp PC router that does a good job at that application. It follows the piece so even with a bit of a cup the dado is the same depth. Does stopped dados well too.

Larry

A euro slider with a clamp on the carriage and a good dado installed is a nice way to do that. I've used a slider to make large orders of door jambs and to make dados for exterior jambs as well as half laps for a variety of things. On over arm pin router can do it to.

i have several cribs for my table saw, and one of them is for a dado head

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    A euro slider with a clamp on the carriage and a good dado installed is a nice way to do that..
    I don't know what a euro-slider is. Is that a saw that slides on a track like the one in Harvey's Festool video link?

I have a Safety Speed Cut dado machine that uses a 3 1/4hp PC router that does a good job at that application.
    I went to a site called Saftey Speed Cut and found panel saws, but I didn't see the dado machine.

There is a type of saw that slides on two metal tubes, which are supported at both ends. I think it is for cutting tile. I've always thought it would be nice to have a similar tool for woodworking. It's a relatively small affair comparted to a table saw.

Could you use a floor style hollow chisel mortiser? (Just a quick thought - I have not thought this through fully LOL so go easy on me)
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    Could you use a floor style hollow chisel mortiser? (Just a quick thought - I have not thought this through fully LOL so go easy on me)
    That's a pretty ingenious idea. How wide do the notches need to be?

Go old school!

How soon do you need to make these dado cuts?
    Search the web for someone selling one of these.
    I'd love to have one.
    Although my DeWalt RAS is right on the money for my cuts.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Husband to 1, father to 9
    2 girls and 7 boys (in that order)
    Life Is Full Of Blessings
    The Lord is my Rock and my Refuge.

And again, Stephen, what RAS do you have?
    Last edited by Myk Rian; 09-03-2012 at 3:01 PM.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    And again, Stephen, what RAS do you have?
    I don't want to turn the thread into a RAS thread (pro or con or how to use one). I've made up my mind to look for something that suits my personal taste better. ( I don't really want to turn the thread into a how-to-use-a-router thread either. I do notice that a Saftey Speed Cut dado machine might be one of these: )http://www.redmondmachinery.com/browse.cfm/4,544.html
    Last edited by Stephen Tashiro; 09-03-2012 at 4:07 PM.