Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delta 46 460...Negative Comments?

Delta 46 460...Negative Comments?

Every summer my wife and I leave home in in Arizona and spend 2 months in Portland, Or. I have decided to acquire a mini lathe and set up a small workshop in my daughter's basement. I have heard a lot a good comments on the Delta 46 460. Now I'd like to hear from owners of this lathe with negative comments, if any

I examined one of the Delta lathes yesterday. and found a couple of things I don't like. A very small handwheel that has a pinch-point with the spindle lock. I'm sure that I can add a larger wood handwheel to take care of that.

As with all mini lathes the toolrest post is 5/8 in. That's too small for a lathe that swings 12 inches. They should have made it a 1-inch post. Nothing I can do about that.

Comments anyone?

The electronics are in a open box which fills with dust-------waiting on parts from delta can be a nightmare lasting months-----just to get the list started.
    Oh-- I own two of them.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

Quote Originally Posted by Wally Dickerman View Post
    A very small handwheel that has a pinch-point with the spindle lock. I'm sure that I can add a larger wood handwheel to take care of that.
    The handwheel on my Jet 1642 tailstock had a 'fatal incident'. I replaced 'temporarily' with an 8" pulley from an old furnace fan. I actually like it much better (e.g., no handle sticking out, larger diameter), so "temporary" will probably be longterm.

The only nit I have with the Delta is the placement of the power switch. Since I'm right handed, I need to reach over the turning to turn the lathe on and off. As I said, it is a NIT. I guess you could learn to use your left hand to turn the lathe off, but still, you have to reach over the lathe. If you had a piece break loose and start flopping around on the lathe, I would not want to have to reach over the lathe to stop it. If this lathe were available when I bought my lathe, I'd own one. And have a deadman switch where I could reach.....
    I think you'll be hard pressed to find a better lathe for the dollars they want.

This from another Wally, I have the 46-460 for the last year and half. No complaints at all, like it better than the Jet 12-20 I had befor it, The switch acted up once but blew it out with the air hose and hasn't bothered since.
    Wally

I have owned one since Dec 09. It performs well. With care an 11.5"x4" bowl regularly. Ive had to replace on/off and forward/reverse switches. Soon parts will not be the responsibility of Black and Decker. The new Delta will take over that soon and the recent headaches should be gone. I would buy another in a heartbeat I love mine. By far the best of the midis.

My biggest complaint about it is the fact it's cost me over $6000 so far. What a nightmare.

It made me like turning enough that I bought a 3520B, hollowing rig, various cryo tools of various manufacture and untold zillions of other incidentals. I like it's spindle lock much better than the 3520B's too.

Boy, don't I know how THAT feels!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Leasure View Post
    My biggest complaint about it is the fact it's cost me over $6000 so far.
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Leasure View Post
    My biggest complaint about it is the fact it's cost me over $6000 so far.
    I'm in WAY deeper than you fellas! $6,000 was out the door by the time I started turning... don't tell the "old lady" please

edited to add: It's the reason I keep my shop a mess, it's harder to notice new tools when everything is in a giant pile
    Last edited by Rick Markham; 08-30-2012 at 7:59 PM.
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

Have owned mine three years this next month....only problem is the on/off reverse switch is intermittent and they will not warranty anything over 12 months old from my experience with them. Really like it when it is running correctly.

Stock tool rest that I got was pretty soft. I ended up getting a couple of Robust ones that I used instead. Very happy with it till I upgraded to a larger unit.

Clint

I had the same experience as Clint. The stock tool rests nick very easily. I bought one Robust rest and will get another one or two before long.
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

I agree with the soft steel on the rest, also, the switch is junk... Ive replaced it twice and the reverse has went out every time,, ive only owned it for a year and a half.. If i wasnt a green turner when I bought, and known any better,, I wouldve bought something else,,,,,,, I really like a lathe that the reverse works for sanding, especially burl..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Show them how, and you too, will learn
    Sole proprietor, Up North Burls
    Secretary, Rainy River Area Woodworkers
    Journeyman Steamfitter, Local 589

The only midi lathes I know of that use a 1" tool post are the General International 12" and 14" lathes. I have the 14" and it seems to be a well built machine.

http://www.general.ca/site_general/g...he/25-114.html

http://www.general.ca/site_general/g...he/25-200.html

Bob

i really like my delta 46-460 ...... keep the dust blown out of the switch and it works just fine electronics are funny that way i.e. they work alot better if they aren't clogged with dirt