Thread: First Humidor Build Questions

First Humidor Build Questions

Hey All,

I have decided to design and build my own humidor but I have 2 questions. I read the Fine Woodworking article by Rick Allyn and he states that he constructs the outer shell and glues it together with reactive polyurethane glue.

Is there another type of glue that is acceptable for gluing the outer box together (ie titebond III)?

I have also read some posts across the internet that say not to shellac or finish the inside of the outer box. Should I seal the inside? Is there a specific finish to seal the inside of the outer box?

Sorry if these are silly questions. I want to make sure I am on the right path

Markthomas

When I was building humidors I used Titebond II. I finished the inside with whatever finish I used on the outside.
    I also install Spanish cedar to the inside. The liner of cedar should not be glued to the outer box. The liner will grow some. When you make the top use just enough glue on the center to hold the top liner in.
    The sealing of the humidor should come from the liners. Does not have to be completely air tight. Some say not to make it air tight.
    If you are not going to line it I would still finish the inside.
    I never had on crack or split.

Thank you for your response... Luckily I have some Titebond II sitting on my work bench! I will definately line the inside of the box with Spanish Cedar... I am still torn on whether to shellac the inside of the outer box (not the spanish cedar). Thanks for your incite!

Markthomas

Blog Entries
    Shellac the outside but keep the inside free of any finishes. For what it's worth, when Tatuaje released their Drac series a few years ago the lacquer didn't have enough time to dry and there was a noticeable smell within the boxes. I keep the inside of the humidors with no finish just to avoid any chance of fumes.