Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spice Chest Jewelry Box

Spice Chest Jewelry Box

This is a Spice Chest/ Jewelry Box I made for my 6 yr old daughter as a big sister present. She helped me throughout the build from sanding parts, to picking out the finish colors and hardware. I chose to involve her because her mother was hospitalized with a rupture in her amniotic sac at 31 weeks of pregnancy and remained hospitalized until the induced labor at 34 weeks. So my daughter was born 6 weeks premature. There was no way I would get it done in time, so I decided to let her be part of the build to make the chest more special. The chest is a build that I followed along with on Charles Neil's Mastering Woodworking Site. It was a fun build for me as I have never done a Tombstone door or arched mouldings. Charles makes it easy to understand how to do it as he shows you step by step. He's a great teacher. The main chest is made out of Honduran Mahogany I bought awile back at a yard sale. The drawer fronts are made out of a really nice piece of Quilted Maple I bought and resawed. The finish is a combination of General Finishes Dyes, Followed by 2 coats of dewaxed Amber Shellac, and 3 coats of Target's EM6000. This has been one of my best builds to date. Hopefully with what I learned during this build and from these forums I can continue to build some more interesting and challenging pieces.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Robert Maloney; 08-19-2012 at 9:57 PM.

Beautiful piece of work. The quilted maple really sets off well against the mahogany. Did you grain fill the mahogany before finishing?

This is a sweet piece of work....made even sweeter by letting your daughter help. Nice job!!

Beautiful piece man! Your daughter and the generations she passes it on to will love it dearly I am sure...

"..a really nice piece of Quilted Maple..."

Understatement.

Beautiful all the way round.

Yes I did grain fill before finishing. I have to make one for my wife now, but this time I will dye first and do at least 2 coats of finish before grain filling. There are a couple of spots where the dyes didn't penetrate because of the grain filler, that or I didn't sand it off well enough. I'll chalk it up as a learning experience.

Simply stated.....absolutely stunning and made more so by the assistance of your daughter! Well done Sir!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Stunning. Quilted Maple is, in my humble opinion, one of the top 3 most beautiful woods in the world. it looks like pure honey flowing and rippling over a golden washboard.

Gorgeous Robert. May I ask what dye(s) you used on the maple? Did you use a dye on the mahogany as well?
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

My goodness. That is just stunning. I hope you don't mind but consider it copied and pasted for future reference. I had been wanting to build one for my daughter, now 19, out of walnut and maple. But after seeing this maybe mahogany and maple.

The maple is just finished with a 1.5# cut of Dewaxed Amber Shellac and EM6000. The Mahogany was finished with a coat of orange dye, then a coat of Merlot dye followed by 1 coat of Amber Shellac then EM6000. My daughter actually helped me mix and match colors until we found something she liked.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Maloney View Post
    The maple is just finished with a 1.5# cut of Dewaxed Amber Shellac and EM6000. The Mahogany was finished with a coat of orange dye, then a coat of Merlot dye followed by 1 coat of Amber Shellac then EM6000. My daughter actually helped me mix and match colors until we found something she liked.
    Thanks, it looks amazing. I've never used EM6000 before. It looks beautiful, how is it to work with?
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

Yikes. Wow. Sheesh. Gorgeous.

As others have said, that is very pretty. I love to mix wood, like what you did, the abstract bring both woods out.. at least for me anyway.
    "To me, there's nothing freer than a bird, you know, just flying wherever he wants to go. And, I don't know, that's what this country is all about, being free. I think everyone wants to be a free bird." - Ronnie Van Zant

Blog Entries
    Just stunning. A very beautiful piece.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler