Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Experimental results from laser etching masks for copper etching

Tried with various paints I had handy
    Rust-Oleum crystal clear Enamel - Laser vaporized some of it, but no amount of repeats would get the last bit off the copper and it wouldn't etch.
    Home Depot brand? Interior/Exterior Royal Blue fast dry spray paint - Lasers right off. Or looks like it does. Still leaves an etch proof invisible film on the board. Kind of pretty. Might make for good plaques and signs.
    Krylon brand black paint pen - Laser barely did anything. I turned it up until it started burning but couldn't get a clean etc.
    Acrylic "Ceramcoat" black paint - Didn't preserve details and dissolves in etch.
    Green Sharpie - no discernible etching with laser
    Black Sharpie - could see etching but not get all the marker off
    blue painters tape - Oh, wow. Why didn't I try this first!?

blue tape.jpg
    --
    40 watt FSL "hobby laser"
    Makerbot Thing-O-Matic

I don't know what it is but something is not right. I have gotten far better results from regular old enamel spray paint than any of the pieces you have shown.

Possible causes;

Board not clean: I use a scotch bright pad with soap and water and clean the copper to a water-break-free surface. That means that the entire surface should hold an unbroken film of water. If it doesn't, it isn't clean.

Rubbing the etchant rather than bathing: I put the PCB into a ziplock bag with a small amount of fresh ferric chloride. Just enough to cover the board. I seal the bag with as little air in it as possible. I then put the bag into the sink (or pan) with hot water in it. The ziplock goes into the hot water and I agitate by hand. I can pick up the bag at anytime and inspect the progress.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Harman View Post
    Possible causes;

Board not clean...

Rubbing the etchant rather than bathing...
    My boards are squeaky clean. I know even a fingerprint can mess up etching. I also switched from rubbing to bathing and tried different etching solutions. I get better results from muratic acid + hydrogen peroxide then ferric chloride.

The blue tape came out pretty good. The traces are quite small and there is nothing for scale in the photos. Also, I didn't quite etch it long enough and I used ferric chloride because it's faster. Because it's faster it's harder to control the etch and this one ended up under-etched. It undercuts easily so I was a little hasty. I am trying again with my preferred etch and I think it should come out nicely. The tape mask is about as nice as I can get with toner transfer. The added benefit is that large areas are completely masked. With toner there are holes in the big areas. I actually think the laser with blue tape should be able to do as good or better than I was doing before.
    --
    Makerbot Thing-O-Matic

Quote Originally Posted by Rodne Gold View Post
    Nice information. Thanks.
    --
    Makerbot Thing-O-Matic