Thread: Way to much time to do this

Way to much time to do this

Had a guy bring in some legs that he needed copied. He said they were going to be band sawed on the phone. I looked at them and these weren't done on the band saw but looked like they were made with something like a magic molder head on a tablesaw.

I grabbed an ovalo bit and a corebox bit and looked like I could do it with those. Gave him an estimate on price and he said he needed them within 2 weeks.

I am waiting on a set of cutters and a downpayment check for a kitchen so I just started up on them.

Used my Bosch Colt router and made a straight line jig that trapped the small square router base so I could push it in a straight line. Simple jig, take a pc of 1/2" ply and cut a rectangle inside it so the router would fit snug.

Made a base with two sides that were equal to the 2 1/8" thickness of the leg blanks. I made this wide enough to hold 8 blanks. I put a stop on top and bottom to trap the blanks, all 4 sides are now trapped. I placed the straight line jig on the blanks and screwed it into the edge that traps the blanks. And then I just push the ovalo bit in the router across the 8 blanks, took 4 passes to get a nice full depth cut. Flipped the blanks 3 more times and did the same route with the ovalo bit.

Moved the straight line jig a bunch of times and did the same.

Swapped over to the corebox bit and did the same. I screwed up, should have done the corebox bit first, got some tear out.

Didn't matter, I had to carve the tearout away anyway.

That was the next step. Using 2 chisels with radiuses I carved the shape to what was required. The long curves I didn't bandsaw, just used my edge sander on the round end. Had to fine tune the curve on the bottom with the 2" sanding drum which is also on my edge sander.

Some more carving with the radiused chisels and then a bunch of orbital sanding.

This is what they looked like now. The stained one is the original I am copying.

Then I set up a chamfer bit in my makeshift router table and did all 4 edges and ended up with this. That is the jig that held the blanks, you can see the routing in the plywood.

This took way to long for what I priced it out as. I'll know better next time, that's for sure. The carving is what killed the time. I should have looked much closer at what I needed to do before giving out my price.

Probably, but they do look nice!!
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

Impressive.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Very cool. I feel like I just got a free wood working lesson. Thanks for posting this. Nice job! What species did you use? Poplar?

Yep, just poplar. It was 10/4. The stick that it came from was 20" wide and 14' long. I just got a 3' chunk, the first foot had a check in it.

Very nicely done Leo! To me it shows there are many ways to accomplish something! Nicely done, Sir!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....