Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Padded floor in workshop or good shoes?

Question Padded floor in workshop or good shoes?

A friend of mine has done to the expense of adding soft floor mats covering most of his shop floor. Adding multiple floor mats can become cost prohibitive quickly.

I have a few mats in my shop around tools that I tend to stand at.

With the brake in the heat (hottest summer on record for Saint Louis), I am starting to work in the shop again. Yesterday I spent about 6 hours in the shop. This morning both legs are sore. So, I am debating either buying more floor mats, or looking for a good pair of shoes that will provide the same cushion as floor mats.

Can anyone recommend a pair of shoes that would work?

I would do both!

David, do you know of a good brand of shoes you would recommend?

Look into some Crocs for your feet. They are extremely shock absorptive.

Change your footwear up from time to time. Sometimes I wear New Balance sneakers. Other times I wear Crocs. Other times I wear sandals. Changing from one type of footwear to another often switches the part of your foot (and your legs, and your back) which are enduring the stress, and makes standing for long times more tolerable.

if you stand in one spot for a long time then a good mat can help. A cost effective mat are horse stall mats they are made from recycled rubber and about 50.00 for a large one I would cut mine into thirds for standing mats. they weight a lot though so it is hard to move one by yourself. good shoes are a must keens really work well or other shoes with good arch support and that are designed for standing.
    Last edited by Steve knight; 08-11-2012 at 12:56 PM.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

SAS......

San Antonio Shoes made in USA.. They have stores all over. They have some walking shoes that I now wear constantly. Helped me, but they cost about $160. Had a pair resoled for $55 and they lasted me over two years of everyday use, including getting soaked more times than I can remember. Watch for sales...10-15% off.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    Look into some Crocs for your feet. They are extremely shock absorptive.
    Thanks, will look at Crocs. Someone else mentioned this brand.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    Change your footwear up from time to time. Sometimes I wear New Balance sneakers. Other times I wear Crocs. Other times I wear sandals. Changing from one type of footwear to another often switches the part of your foot (and your legs, and your back) which are enduring the stress, and makes standing for long times more tolerable.
    It sounds like you are saying that you change shoes several times a day while woodworking. Did I understand you correctly?

I have been thinking of horse stall mats like Steve suggested. I purchased one to try it out. I like it. The best part is you can roll tools with wheels, and chairs with wheels over the mat. The only issue I see, is they are black. How will a black floor be in the shop?

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Tutterrow View Post
    It sounds like you are saying that you change shoes several times a day while woodworking. Did I understand you correctly?
    If I'm on my feet for four hours, and expected to be on my feet for another four, I will change shoes (to a different types).

I know it sounds insane. But it is a trick I learned from an orthopedic surgeon.

When I worked as a sheet metal worker I noticed our shop workers ,who stand at a bench 40 hours a week, have a wooden lattice type "mat" to stand on. Like hardwood 1"x2"'s 8 feet long on a 2"x 2" frame spaced enough to have some" give" to it.. Something you could make yourself. In my workshop I have a built up wooden floor over concrete and it works well for me.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

I'm on my feet all day in the shop. Good shoes are critical, but I think so are mats. I actually developed bursitis in one of my feet from all of this (a tailor's bunion, to be precise). It's taken months for it to go away after getting better footwear and religiously using the mats. Cement is incredibly hard on your body, even with good shoes.

Get a good of boots or shoes and put in gel Insoles. If you can add a wood floor do it. Standing on concrete all day is killer. I put in a wood floor and besides warming up the shop it's been great on my back and hips.
    Don

I really like Crocs for the shop. I get the closed ones made for cooks to keep the dust out. Searching on Amazon (they are listed 20 different ways) and looking at different colors I was able to get my last pair for $28.

My dad, who worked standing on a concrete floor in a confined ares for 25 years, wouldn't buy any shoe other than a Red Wing work shoe--he retired in 1980 so I don't know if they are as good a shoe now as they were then.
    ________
    Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

I've had flat feet and fallen arches my whole lif which has resulted in sore feet, sore knees and sore back. Until 10 years ago i didnt even want to walk around the block.

Three changes have mad a big difference for me. I had custom made orthotics from Foot Solutions, I buy shoes (brooks) that have flat foot beds and I wear thick socks that have an elastic band around the arches. I don't have sore knees, or a sore back anymore. My feet still get sore if I stand for a prolonged period but it's nothing like it was before. Concrete or tile is the worst. I have somer rubber mats on my floor and they help too.

Good luck