Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Virus Protection Expiration coincidence???

Virus Protection Expiration coincidence???

Well, my virus protection is just about up. I bought it for a two-year stint. Never, NEVER had a report of a near miss, whoops, that one almost got you, or anything like that. Well, what do you know, it's just about to expire and bam--Got one the other day, "We saved you, you almost got hit!" Also, I've had three major name virus protection programs, and every one of them caused problems with my computer when they expired. Coincidence? Don't think so. I wonder how much of this stuff is actually a racket. My name is Lewis and I approve of this message.

Got really upset when I let Norton expire -- they kept bugging me with pop up reminders and it wasn't obvious how to get it off my computer. Eventually got a Mac. Anyway Norton didn't win a fan -- such a stupid way to treat a customer -- not rushing to ever buy their products in the future. How about a pop up -- "If you don't want to renew click on this and it will remove our program -- thanks for using us for the last year or two"!
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 08-11-2012 at 3:39 PM. Reason: Language

There are several free AV programs that are very good. Norton/Symantec AV for home use are considered viruses themselves by many in the IT world. It's also recommended to have a multi-layered defense: router (with firmware firewall), software firewall, AV software, spyware software.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Blog Entries
    I've used F-prot for more than 10 years. It has never allowed a virus, yes it has detected a few, to inhabit my computer. It has no noticeable effect on operations, it updates itself and runs automatically if you schedule it. Only when it is running a complete scan of the computer is there any noticeable speed difference. It isn't free, but at $25 per year it isn't bad either. You only get an email about a month before your expiration date to remind you to renew, if you ignore that one, you don't get any more notices. Removal of the program is easy too if you decide you don't want it.

I had Norton on computers at work and it was a constant hassle and removal was nigh on impossible.

My kids recommend Avast, which is free.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Switch to Mac and don't look back.

Ed
    Some claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views.

William F, Buckley, Jr.

Try Linux, you'll like it. And far, far fewer issues with virii and spyware. I hate Symantec for the reasons brought up in this thread.
    Paul

Forget the Macs and Linux if you like Windows.
    AVG has been a great FREE virus program for me, many years now.
    free.avg.com
    Install the BASIC protection and be happy.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 08-11-2012 at 9:57 PM. Reason: Language
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I use the Security Essentials free from microsoft.. It's stopped a number of potential threats, and does the same job as any of the other free ones. The way I look at it, is Microsoft has the most to lose from not being able to protect the users of their operating system from a virus attack and make pretty darn sure what their putting out will do the job..
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

If you are on Windows 7, just use the Microsoft Essentials...it works and it works well and without affecting system performance. (As noted by Windows Secrets testing) It also never expires, from a "subscription" standpoint. If you are on Windows XP, absolutely use a 3rd party product...the Microsoft setup on XP isn't what it is on Win7.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    If you are on Windows 7, just use the Microsoft Essentials...it works and it works well and without affecting system performance. (As noted by Windows Secrets testing) It also never expires, from a "subscription" standpoint. If you are on Windows XP, absolutely use a 3rd party product...the Microsoft setup on XP isn't what it is on Win7.
    +1, MSE is great for Vista and Win7. There are some reasons to go with McAfee / Intel combinations in a corporate environment (ePO Deep Commands, etc.) but it's not a reason to get it for home use.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cunningham View Post
    I use the Security Essentials free from microsoft.. It's stopped a number of potential threats, and does the same job as any of the other free ones. The way I look at it, is Microsoft has the most to lose from not being able to protect the users of their operating system from a virus attack and make pretty darn sure what their putting out will do the job..
    Another way to look at it is that if Microsoft cared, it would be part of the Windows package, with automatic updates and no expiration date.
    ________
    Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

If Microsoft cared, they would close all the holes in their OS and redesign their horrible security model.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Portland View Post
    +1, MSE is great for Vista and Win7. There are some reasons to go with McAfee / Intel combinations in a corporate environment (ePO Deep Commands, etc.) but it's not a reason to get it for home use.
    +2

Then again AVG is also a good free product.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Jones near Indy View Post
    Another way to look at it is that if Microsoft cared, it would be part of the Windows package, with automatic updates and no expiration date.
    It's not part of the windows 'install' package, but you can download it and install with a click or two. It does have automatic updates, and no expiration. I run it on XP, and have no problems at all. I also have it on two win7 machines, and it runs exactly the same as it does on XP.. The only machine it slows down is a Oooold xp machine which is pretty well useless and ready for the scrap heap anyway... It works great, it's free, it won't slow down your machine and it updates itself every day..What more do you need?
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

The reason I switched to Mac is because I got a bad virus days after installing and updating virus protection software. When I complained to the company they said that I got a brand new virus that they hadn't developed detection or the ability to stop yet. I spent over $50 dollars for new virus protection that didn't work. So I got rid of my PC's.
    Now everything in my home is Mac except my wife's cell phone and when the contract permits she will have an iphone too. Mac is wonderful. If I enter an appointment in the calendar on my phone the event shows up on my laptop and desktop too. If I add a bookmark to the browser that sight is bookmarked on all my Apple products. If I create a document I can access it on any of my computers as well as my iphone. When I start up a Mac I don't have to wait to use it because yet another perpetual critical update is being installed. I leave my Mac desktop running and have yet to have it lock up with the blue screen of death like my old PC desktop that locked up regularly.
    If you all like your PC's that is fine I am just telling of my experience with Windows products and why I have sought better (in my view) computing products.

PS I haven't paid for virus protection in well over a year and have yet to get any form of a virus.

Ed
    Some claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views.

William F, Buckley, Jr.