Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A little help with bamboo cutting boards

A little help with bamboo cutting boards

I have started engraving bamboo cutting boards as a job for a customer. I have had mixed results with some boards lasering darker than others. Is there anyone out there who has found a way to get darker results using any kind of oil or surface prep prior to lasering ? The depth is perfect but I would like some consistent darkness.
    Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Don
    Jamieson LG-640 - 60 watt
    Hurricane Floyd - 60 watt
    MK Diamond 370EXP
    Corel X5
    Graphtec CE5000-60

Don

I wish I could help but I don't do bamboo for the very reason you've mentioned plus the bottom of the engraved area tends to be fibrous.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

If you go out of focus a bit and run lower speed with lower power, it will come out more consistent. I haven't done what I would consider a lot, but what I have done turned out really well. I'd have to look to be sure, but I think I ran the last batch at 40% Power and 30% speed - that's on a 30 watt, 80 ips machine so adjust accordingly for your machine.

Gary

Are these for display? It seems like there could be food contamination in the engraved area.
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

These are definitely not for use with food. Display only. Too many nooks and crannies for use with food.
    MK Diamond 370EXP
    Corel X5
    Graphtec CE5000-60

Hi there
    I work just with bamboo and I got steady results see attached pictures . depending on what you wana do engraving ( for picture)
    or cutting (text) chocolate0001.jpgenjoylife0001.jpgahug0001.jpg
    I use for text the cutting settings and for picture or grafic engraving settings. cutting are about 150 to 250 speed and 10.5 to 11.5 power.
    engravings settings are about 150 ( for very detailed) to 400 (for rough) speed and 14 to 24% power, dthering at 0.1 to 0.2 .

hope this helps
    greetings
    walt

Walter, I think they are talking about the same thing you show in your middle photo with the two people on it. See how the feet of the people is light and the heads are dark? That's what he's trying to avoid.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Ah.. if they're just for display, use some color fill over a clear coat. Once filled, sand it back.
    Bamboo is all over the place as far as density because most of what we get is put together
    from many pieces. It's a grass, so I don't know if you can get very large pieces.

At the dallas NBM show Laser sketch had a spray called laser dark that is made just for that .I have not tryed it but looked good on the samples he had there.
    GCC new mercury II 40 watt
    Corel Draw x5 suite
    All kinds of woodworking/construction junk

you are right bamboo is a grass like wood even with wood there will allways be some shades but this is what makes it unique I allways say laser engraving on wood is not printing on paper.
    but I can get even sheets 4x8feet from 1/8 inch to 1/2 inch thick but it is expensive and there allways need to purchase two sheets runs about $ 550 .
    greetings
    walt

Quote Originally Posted by walter hofmann View Post
    I can get even sheets 4x8feet from 1/8 inch to 1/2 inch thick
    True enough, but look at them closely. I don't know if bamboo will grow large enough for a single
    piece of that size. (length, yes.. it might grow 20+ feet per year) so those pieces are often made up
    of several smaller pieces using finger joints.

[QUOTE=...length, yes.. it might grow 20+ feet per year..[/QUOTE] Yes, but...density at the node is quite different than in the middle of a segment and I've never seen nodes 4' long! We make a lot of bamboo name tags. The vast majority get masked, engraved, and color-filled with thick acrylic artist's paint. Much more consistent.
    Longtai 460 with 100 watt EFR, mostly for fun. More power is good!! And a shop with enough wood working tools to make a lot of sawdust. Ex-owner of Shenhui 460-80 and engraving business with 45 watt Epilog Mini18.

Quote Originally Posted by John Noell View Post
    Yes, but...density at the node is quite different than in the middle of a segment and I've never seen nodes 4' long! We make a lot of bamboo name tags. The vast majority get masked, engraved, and color-filled with thick acrylic artist's paint. Much more consistent.
    Exactly... which was why i was saying I don't think you'd see one piece 4'x8'! I also color fill bamboo
    because you just never know how it is going to engrave from one inch to the next

I wa not clear enough. all bamboo is mad from strips of about 1 1/2 inch with and then joined together to the desired with and even lenght.
    ther are two major version one is horizontal where the stripes about 1/8 thick are glued together overlapping on top of each other this gives the real bamboo look with knotes and the tyhere is the vertical version where the stripes are joint site by site this version has the least distorted look and is pretty even in color for lasering, but it misses the typical knotes .
    greetings
    walt

Thanks for the advice. Slowed down the speed, took it a little out of focus and lowered the power and they all turned out amazing. Took a while at the slower speed but the results were perfect.
    Don
    MK Diamond 370EXP
    Corel X5
    Graphtec CE5000-60