Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My First Hollow Form

Dick: You've given me something to strive for. Great job!

Ed

That is a beautl Dick, Very well done!

My son is working on his first in Apple with a Caboa top, he filled some of the voids with Inlace but for some reason it fell out the first go around. Wish I had more time for the lathe as it sure looks fun!!

Andy

3. Mr. Parr, you have reached a whole new plateau of excellence. That is a beautiful piece and particularly a beautiful first hollow form! My congratulations to you!!!!

As far as the pain, that is what they make hot tubs and Jack for...Sit in the hot tub, sip a little Jack and admire your work!
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Thanks guys,

Carole, this is the first time I have really used it other then to practice with on any piece of wood left in the chuck, nothing hollow. I practice when I am roughing a bowl our using the hollow master and multi tip tools instead of a bowl gouge, for some of the bowl anyways.

It was mostly feel. I think the tool rest was just below center and I took very light cuts back and forth, it seemed to work very good. I know I kept moving the cutter around to different positions. Some would grab and other locations only the end of the tool would touch wood and not the cutter.

The best I can tell ya is to use it when you are roughing out a bowl and practice then at what high th works best and how light or heavy a cut to take. Unless you are in a hurry to get the bowl done just take your time and the wood will come off the tip.

Having only done this one hollow form I am by no means very knowledgeable, but I think with this shallow of a form the Sorby multi tip tool would work better so that you can get closer to the work. With the neck of the hollow master it leaves you so far away.

Good luck
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good