Thread: source for 6" pvc and/or metal pipe

source for 6" pvc and/or metal pipe

Who has the best pricing for pvc and/or metal pipe for dust collection?

Blog Entries
    Check with local sources, the borg, plumbing supply and HVAC houses. If price is an issue, (and when isn't it?) look at either 26 ga steel snaplock or sewer and drain PVC. No need to get spendy with steel spiral pipe or SDR 35 or SCH 40 PVC.

The best price for me is my local plumbing wholesaler, the place all the contractors go. The local big box stores are way more expensive for 6 inch. I suspect this is common in most areas.

When I put my system in, couldn't find any 6" 2729 available locally, or any 26 gauge snaplock. Wound up with spiral, which was very expensive. Now, we have a Menards store here, and they have a policy where you can buy products available at other stores, shipped to your store for free. So if they have 2729 anywhere, you can have it delivered to your local Menards.

6" S&D PVC from a supplier to the trades that will sell retail was my choice. If you're not pressed for time, you can make blast gates and use a 6" coupling cut in half to attach the pipe. Mine don't leak and don't get jammed with saw dust. There are plans readily available online.

I used 6" sewer and drain, called SDR35. Call around. The Borg doesn't carry it but speciality plumbing stores do.

But be warned, the fittings are somewhat expensive. I spent maybe $150 on pipe and over $250 on fittings. Then you have to add the blast gates and hose, etc.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

2 local plumbing don't carry 6" 2779 pipe (go figure) but my Menards does and their fitting prices were better than the supply stores.

I shopped around a lot and ended up finding 6" x 5' 26 gauge snap lock pipe from local plumbing supplier for $13 a piece. Kencraft Co. had the best prices on elbows, wyes, reducers, etc. Blastgate Co. for blast gates and hose. Ended up spending around $550 for the complete system not including the collector.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    I shopped around a lot and ended up finding 6" x 5' 26 gauge snap lock pipe from local plumbing supplier for $13 a piece. Kencraft Co. had the best prices on elbows, wyes, reducers, etc. Blastgate Co. for blast gates and hose. Ended up spending around $550 for the complete system not including the collector.
    I see that Grangers has that pipe for about that same cost. I plan to get my stuff there.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

Trouble is that Grainger only sells that Greenseam pipe in boxed quantities of 5 or more. Plumbing supply places will usually sell singles.

One thing I found that worked really well for hanging metal duct was the steel strap hanger that Grainger sells: http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/DUC...FZ3?Pid=search

Mount it to the ceiling with a screw and feed an appropriate sized hose clamp through it.

For some reason the price of the SS pipe and fittings has increased substantially lately and it is hard to find. Ewing wanted $54 for a 6" Y., $25 for a 45, and $25 for a 10' pc of pipe! I searched all ove for better prices and nobody was carrying any more. I'm happy my system was done several years ago otherwise the piping would have cost more than the cyclone.