Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How bad is dust? in laymans terms.....

Question How bad is dust? in laymans terms.....

I know there is issues with it, and I'm working on controlling it in my shop.

But whats the deal with sawdust?
    Any one here have documented long term or permanent ill effects?

Any over exposure to sanding dust sets me up with a runny nose for about 2 days (I'm 32) and I do allot of sniffling and sneezing along with it.

Thanks...
    Husband to 1, father to 9
    2 girls and 7 boys (in that order)
    Life Is Full Of Blessings
    The Lord is my Rock and my Refuge.

It can cause nasopharyngeal cancer
    look on this chart for NPC

http://www.wood-database.com/wood-ar...-and-toxicity/
    Carpe Lignum

Thanks for sharing that Phil.

This is what prompted my question.

32, 3/8" chamfers at 51" in length.

Dust was EVERYWHERE
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fine Dust (smaller than you can see) can cause debilitating lung damage over time. Did you use a router, hand plane, or sander? If you use hand plane then the shavings just make your coffee taste better.
    Last edited by Brian Kent; 08-04-2012 at 12:46 AM.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Pine is an irritant and yours looks like it was treated
    If the treated wood kills bugs it cant be good for humans...
    Get a good respirator I prefer these
    http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/...spirators.html
    make sure you get p-100 filters
    Carpe Lignum

I totally agree with Phil. I find the half-mask respirators very comfortable and effective. The new P-100 also have "organic vapor relief", which completely blocked the odor and irritants of 7 coats of varnish on a recent bench. Here's what I use - because it fits me so well:

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Series-Reus...=3m+respirator
    http://www.amazon.com/3M-Particulate...=3m+respirator
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Breathing wood dust over a long period of time can cause serious problems. When I was younger I never worried about it, but now I'm overly cautious about it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Berk View Post
    Any over exposure to sanding dust sets me up with a runny nose for about 2 days (I'm 32) and I do allot of sniffling and sneezing along with it.
    That's what it used to do to me. Now it gives me disabling, call in sick to work head and earaches that last till the next day. I now have to wear a respirator even when hand sanding or pay the consequences. I now have the dust collection I should have had before I did irreparable damage.

Take it seriously. Take it seriously right now. The answer to "what should the next cool tool I get for my shop be?" is . . . Good Dust Collection. I don't mean to go all "DC-Nazi" or anything but, I hate to remain silent while some healthy person does to themselves what I did to me. When I was 32, I was bullet proof; so are you . . . . Turns out I wasn't; neither are you.

Good collection at the source. HEPA filters in your vacs. Respirator for messy work. Ambient cleaners for the fines that got missed . . . yeah, some got missed. I use active DC and respirator while working and hit the ambient when I leave the shop for a break. Be smart, have fun and stay healthy.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Aaron,

Bill Pentz has a good summary at his website. Look at the medical risks section.

Best,
    Jim

When I got started in woodworking, I was certain of what tools I needed. Turns out I didn't have a clue.

Any power tool that cuts wood (jointer, planer, table saw, drill...) presents a unique DC challenge.

The fines, one micron in size, are the particulates to be concerned about.

There are many helpful threads here on SMC and as mentioned above, Bill Pentz' site provides extensive information.

The choices we make in our younger years have a way of coming back to haunt us later. Some will be dismissive of the threat of fine particulates. You may even come this conclusion yourself. I have come to the conclusion that fine particulates pose a significant threat to my long term health and have invested time and money into developing DC strategies that address my concerns.

To be clear, wood shavings are not a concern. The invisible particles that are released during the cutting process will persist in the atmosphere of your work space for a long time. The act of walking into the work space will stir these particles back up into the atmosphere, riding on the eddies and currents.
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

FYI. Sounds like you may already be sensitized to some degree. As time goes on, your allergic response could get more severe and also be triggered by a lot less irritant. And, you could also more easily develop sensitivities to other things, different kinds of woods, etc.

Thanks for the wealth of knowledge guys....

Google was just giving me way more technical data than I was ready for.
    My shop DC quest is on the move.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the wealth of knowledge guys....

Google was just giving me way more technical data than I was ready for.
    My shop DC quest is on the move.
    A bit more information. In addition to the dust masks recommended in other posts, you should do a few more things if that is your work area. First and easiest, close the door on the circuit breaker panel to keep the dust out of the breakers. Then get a cover for that double receptacle to the right in the photo. Having exposed outlets is a potential shock hazard. Finally, sawdust on a concrete floor can be very slippery, buy a broom and use it frequently.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    If using a full respirator is too much for you, at least pick up a 3 pack of 3M fuzzy masks with the exhale valve rated N95 (pn 8511). Don't bother with the cheap paper masks.