Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Want to get into welding, simple needs

Want to get into welding, simple needs

I'd like to be able to weld stuff like tubular steel. I don't have any experience with welding other than a spot welder back in 8th (I think) grade.

I want, for welding, the equivalent of my Ryobi BT3000 table saw for woodworking. Does that makes sense? My Ryobi saw does almost everything a big cabinet saw does, but it isn't designed for a professional woodworker, more like a weekend warrior. So I'd like same for welding.

I'm looking for a good primer book or video. I don't have 220 where I'll be doing this. And I have a limited budget.

Any pointers on where to get started would be appreciated.

Vocational School or a welding supply store might be able to guide you

Take a look at the Hobart machines at Tractor Supply. They make a 110V MIG welder, used to be the 140 but that may have changed by now, that would be find for anything you'd probably be welding at home. Buy the gas and forgo using the flux core wire that comes with. There's also a welding co-op (think Ace Hardware) called Weldmark that at least was private labeling the Hobart machines at an attractive price. My brother has their version of the 140 and has been satisfied with it. I own its big brother the 180 with the Hobart paint but that's a 220 machine.

There are also some combo machines out now that do MIG, TIG, and stick all in one machine. Of course you'd need different gasses for MIG/TIG so two tanks and a number of accessories. I don't know much about them other than advertising from my local welding supplier, but they might at least be worth a look--albeit at a much higher price than a MIG only machine.

You might check two if there are going to be any demo days at any local shops or events. Our county fair is this week and one of the local shops has a huge display including demo stations for several Lincoln machines.

You can get a 110 volt mig welder should work on thickness up to 1/8 or so. Poul can get them in flux core wire that does not require a tank of shielding gas the downsize is the wire costs more. I believe Harbor freight has some cheap mig welders. If you want to get into thicker materials you will need to go to 220 volts.

Would think you could take a class, it is one of those things that a little time with a knowledgeable person will make a large difference in the learning curve.
    Thank You
    Ed

Phil

As a welding newbie, I have to echo Matt's comments....get a 110V wire feed unit and the gas. I "inherited" my son's Clarke unit - a EN130 if memory serves me correctly - he bought himself a much more powerful unit, and I got the "old one" for my use.

Be aware that the smaller wire feed unit's will have a limited duty cycle, which is the amount of time you can weld before the machine begins to overhead. Assuming you aren't familar w/ the term - duty cycle is the percentage of time you can weld in a 10 minute interval. For my machine, on the lowest amperage setting, the duty cycle is 100%, in contrast, on it's highest setting (about 70 amps), the duty cycle is 10%, or 1 minute.

My welds aren't pretty - but so far - all two of them have held.

Jim

Another good thing about the size that Matt suggested is that it can weld as small as 20ga(I think) up to 3/8 thick.Using the gas the welds will look like you know what your doing(works for me).These welders are not made for continous welding like in fab shops but made more for repairs,that has not been a problem for me for the last few yrs.I've made mobile bases,fill holes where holes not needed,weld up cracks,made motor covers and the list goes on.Its a good thing to have in the shop----Carroll

I bought a Hobart Handler 140 a few years ago and I love it. It can be used without gas but I've only used it with gas. It's done everything I've asked it to and I've been very happy with it. I could have easily bought a 220v model but I opted for the 110v one so I can use it anywhere. I've even brought it over to my neighbor's house a few times which is something I could NOT do with a 220v welder.
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

If you shop for a mig welder, be sure to get one that be used with or without gas, even if you only use it gasless. This type produce DC current and produce a much better weld. Some low end units produce AC current and splatter much more.

John

I have not done any welding for a longg time, If you are welding Aluminum, do you need a T I G welder or M I G

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ray hampton View Post
    I have not done any welding for a longg time, If you are welding Aluminum, do you need a T I G welder or M I G
    TIG for aluminum.

My son is an ironworker and has a small Millermatic 135 MIG for working on the Jeep. 20 amp 115 volt circuit needed. It has been in my garage, along with the Jeep, for better than a year now. I really need to learn to use it. But he did not get the bottle with it, uses flux coated wire, and it spatters a lot. Guess we need to step up and add the gas before I start playing with it. Of course most of the welding on the Jeep is done now.

either. I have done it on MIG and on TIG. I enjoyed MIG more,,,
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

I upgraded from a Hobart 140 to a Miller 211 Mig so I could weld aluminum. You need a spool gun attachment and a tank of argon. There is a learning curve for the aluminum.

Perry

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holbrook View Post
    I upgraded from a Hobart 140 to a Miller 211 Mig so I could weld aluminum. You need a spool gun attachment and a tank of argon. There is a learning curve for the aluminum.

Perry
    yes on the learning curve for al. but other metals also will melt before they turn red like steel do, T I G will weld most non-ferrous metals

+1 on the Hobart Handler 140. We've had one in our student shop for 10+ years and it's been trouble free. Two simple controls (voltage, feed rate) make this machine easy to learn on and relatively forgiving. Easily welds steel sheet, rod/bar, angle, square tube, etc.. from 16ga - 3/8" thick (some say thinner is possible but we've had limited success). Do invest in the gas set up, you will get MUCH cleaner welds than with flux-core wire. There is a spool gun that can be fitted to this machine for welding aluminum, but if you're considering welding aluminum with any frequency, I think you would be better served investing in a higher powered unit such as the Handler 210 (it takes much more amperage to weld aluminum).

TIG vs MIG is really more a matter of exactly what you're welding. MIG is quick and easy, effective strength - TIG is slower, but much more controlled with higher detail achievable. Amperage on a TIG torch is controlled with a foot pedal, so one can easily and immediately modulate the heat that you're putting into the weld to control the situation AT the puddle created by the electric arc: the electrode is a piece of tungsten ground to a pinpoint to give pretty much pinpoint control. Filler metal is added to a puddle with the welders second hand when necessary. Hand, foot, torch, filler metal coordination is a significant challenge.

In MIG the electrode IS the filler metal and it is fed out of a handheld gun - pretty much point and shoot.

One can lay down quite acceptable welds after just 10 or twenty minutes of practice with a MIG welder - to consistently produce quality welds with a TIG takes hours and hours or practice and experience.

The investment to get into TIG is also significantly higher. I would suggest starting with an entry level 110v MIG. If you find that there are projects that you need TIG for in the future, you will always have uses for the MIG. In our shop the MIG is used 10x more than the TIG, usually if we're using the TIG, we're doing something that cannot be done on the MIG.

I don't know about MIGs other than the Hobart: Miller and Lincoln undoubtedly make very similar units at similar price point that are probably great machines (Miller and Lincoln are quite respected in welding circles) . The inexpensive Harbor Freight and similar units would be tempting, but could be frustrating as well, do you're research and you should be OK.

-kg
    Last edited by Kevin Groenke; 08-03-2012 at 10:13 PM.

How much $$$$ is one looking to invest in the gas and tank? How long does a tank last on average?
    I own a 110 unit that has gas hookup but never used it.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale