Thread: Lego Coffee Table

Lego Coffee Table

I'm a long time lurker here and have recently got back into woodworking, but I would consider myself a novice. A friend asked if I could build this and I said yes and did lots of designing and reading before I sarted building. The top and legs are quarter sawn red oak. I wish I had made the whole thing in QSRO, but I had some red oak left over and I was trying to save them some money on materials.

The top has a lifting bolt on either side of the table that lifts the top enough to pull it up and flip it over to change to the Lego base plates. I followed the water-dye-shellac-gel stain-shellac-wax method to get the look for the top.

Overall I am happy with the way it came out, if I were to build another one, there are things I would change, but that happens with any project. The friend was pleased with the way it came out also. I've gotten the bug to do some bigger projects now that I got this out of the way.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Aaron Boggs; 07-31-2012 at 10:26 PM.

Very nice and cool idea, I had pictures of a giant lego block made from wood with a glass top suspended on the locking "nubs" in my head as I opened the post.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Clever hidden storage idea! I'm going to file that one away in memory for future use. Does your friend use the lego top as a base for lego building, or is is just for show?

That is great! What a wonderful thought--combining lego and woodworking.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Boegen View Post
    Clever hidden storage idea! I'm going to file that one away in memory for future use. Does your friend use the lego top as a base for lego building, or is is just for show?
    Thanks. He likes building/playing with Lego bricks, so he has plenty of room to work on the base plates. It was meant to be a functional table that you would not be able to tell it had Lego components without opening it up.

That is amazing! As a fellow woodworker and closet lego dweeb this is one of the most fantastic things I've seen! Well done!

Is there room between the top and the storage bins to leave the legos setup and the top flipped wood side up? Great work!

Blog Entries
    How fun. Great job and sure to be appreciated.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Dunham View Post
    That is amazing! As a fellow woodworker and closet lego dweeb this is one of the most fantastic things I've seen! Well done!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cozad View Post
    Is there room between the top and the storage bins to leave the legos setup and the top flipped wood side up? Great work!
    Not really. If you took out one of the bins and were careful about where it was built, you could.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    How fun. Great job and sure to be appreciated.
    Thanks.

Great idea and great craftsmanship.

Awesome idea! Well done...

Very cool design. Is the removable top solid? If so are there any concerns with wood movement?

Sorry, I'm not buying that "novice" part! Nicely done!
    "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity" - anon

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Very cool design. Is the removable top solid? If so are there any concerns with wood movement?
    It is solid, but I gave it enought room to move. I was constructing this when that heat wave hit Indiana last summer, I built everything to fit and by time it was brought inside and cooled off, the tops had about 1/16" of play to lift out of their spots.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Gulseth View Post
    Sorry, I'm not buying that "novice" part! Nicely done!
    Thanks, but I'm still learning to do stuff to right way. Half the problem is having the right tools.