Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What would be the best all around chuck for a lathe

Got just about all of them. I have different jaws on each, but if I have to choose one and only one, it would be the Vicmarc 120. It can handle small projects and huge ones, doesn't collect dust (has a back cover), can take different inserts, and I happen to like dovetailed jaws.
    No one has the right to demand aid, but everyone has a moral obligation to provide it-William Godwin

I think it depends on how big your lathe is and the spindle size. My Powermatic 90's have 1 1/2" x 8 spindles and some chucks including the Nova don't make an adapter that large. On the other hand my Jet mini has a 1" spindle. I use Vicmarc 120's on the Powermatics and an Apprentice chuck on the Jet mini. The Apprentice (from Craft Supplies) costs half as much as the Vicmarc 120 and comes with 4 sets of jaws, a 1" spindle and a 3/4" spindle adapter. The Vicmarc comes with one set of jaws and one adapter.

I've not tried the other brands but after tonight's session I can give the Oneway Stronghold a ton of praise.
    I was working on a very large piece (and grossly underestimated the weight).

So the foot was mounted in the chuck (5" jaws) and also held by my steady rest as I was hollowing it out.
    After about few hours, I heard 2 loud bangs - I thought they sounded like electrical shorts, but couldn't figure out what happened.
    It did smell weird but everything seemed fine.... So I kept turning.

20 min later I started getting more vibration and wobble. At that point I realized that the lower rollers on the steady rest had exploded and disintegrated!
    The whole thing was being up held by the chuck!!!
    Ok, so that to be expected right?

Well.....after replacing the wheels 2 more times, I finishing roughing the piece in, took it off, and found out it still weighed well over 80 lbs.

So when the wheels failed it was way over 200 lbs and 24" tall!!!
    And chuck held it just fine.

All I can say, is that I'm now very grateful to Oneway for making an awesome product.
    I shudder to think what would have happened if that thing had come loose at 300 rpm.
    Last edited by John Keeton; 08-01-2012 at 6:48 AM.

I've not tried the other brands but after tonight's session I can give the Oneway Stronghold a ton of praise.
    I was working on a very large piece (and grossly underestimated the weight).

So the foot was mounted in the chuck (5" jaws) and also held by my steady rest as I was hollowing it out.
    After about few hours, I heard 2 loud bangs - I thought they sounded like electrical shorts, but couldn't figure out what happened.
    It did smell weird but everything seemed fine.... So I kept turning.

20 min later I started getting more vibration and wobble. At that point I realized that the lower rollers on the steady rest had exploded and disintegrated!
    The whole thing was being up held by the chuck!!!
    Ok, so that to be expected right?

Well.....after replacing the wheels 2 more times, I finishing roughing the piece in, took it off, and found out it still weighed well over 80 lbs.

So when the wheels failed it was way over 200 lbs and 24" tall!!!
    And chuck held it just fine.

All I can say, is that I'm now very grateful to Oneway for making an awesome product.
    I shudder to think what would have happened if that thing had come loose at 300 rpm.

Last edited by John Keeton; Today at 6:48 AM.

I have the Grizz Vicmark clone. It has done all I've needed.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Jay - All the advice on chucks and jaw sets is worthless without knowing what lathes the advisors use, what type of turning the advisors are doing, etc.

First step is for you to decide what you are going to do with the chuck. Bowls? Finials? Peppermills? Tool handles? Other?

Until you decide what type of turning you are going to be doing, it's not possible to select a chuck and jaws.

I turn a lot of bowls and peppermills on a Oneway 2436. I have two Vicmarc 120 with multiple large jaw sets (including jumbo jaws) for bowls, and one Vicmarc 100 with pin jaws for finials and peppermills.

So, think about what you want to do before selecting a chuck and jaw set. - John

PS - There is no "best all around chuck." That's the reason there are so many chuck sizes and jaw combinations. Each chuck/jaw combination is generally best suited for a farily narrow range of applications. - J
    Last edited by John King; 08-02-2012 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Add PS

I think that when it comes to final evaluation, the biggest thing in how well the chucks hold is how good of a job you do in fitting the piece being held to the chuck. Proper tenon size and shape, how big the chuck is compared to how big the piece you are holding is, and how sound the wood is. I do prefer a dove tail as it is a locking wedge joint, been used in woodworking forever.

robo hippy

It's a Grizzly lathe with a 14" swing....I'd like to do bowls & plates but I really don't know right now as I just got it today. I do know I need a chuck. It came with a 3 jaw chuck that looks like the one of a South Bend metal lathe...

I have both the G3 and SN2. When I got my SN2 I had a wobble problem. I had to go thru a few inserts to get the wobble to go away. I have a Grizzly 760 22" swing and I turn some large bowls and core with the Oneway coring tool. I have noticed my SN2 has a bad wobble in the jaws. I put a micrometer on them and am getting a variance of over 20/100. Taking the jaws off and checking the mounts I'm still getting 8/100 variance. Just ordered the VM120 and 5" jaws to see how it works. I even cleaned all faces to ensure no grit is causing the error.

"Brownsville", North Queensland, Australia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Wyko View Post
    Another feature on the stronghold, you can change the threaded insert. So if you replace a lathe with say a 1", 8tpi headstock with a bigger one with 1-1/4 8tpi, you don't have to replace your chuck. I don't know if the other ones offer this feature though. It saved me considerably when I went from JET1442 to my PM4224.
    Most modern chuck designs incorporate an insert system that enables the turner to interchange inserts for various spindle thread sizes. This means you only have to replace inserts at a moderste cost rather than purchase all new chucks if you change lathes.

Being a Queenslander I have a long association with Vicmarc chucks and lathes, both are top quality so are very good choices. Vicmarc also offer both "Tbar" or geared scroll chucks and tommy bar conventional scroll chucks, to cater for various preferences.

I would suggest that you look at the range of chuck jaws offered that are suitable for the work you like to turn, then base your chuck purchase decision upon that. Oneway, Vicmarc, and Nova all offer a good range and are quality chucks. The chucks mentioned above from the "service centre" are most likely remanufactured / refurbished chucks that were returned for various quality issues - personally I would ask that question directly before going that route.

This thread is four years old.

Thank you, John. I just noticed that. I couldn't figure out why no one was recommending Hurricane chucks (I don't have one) when that is included in every chuck recommendation thread nowdays.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!