Thread: Good Service at Lowe's

Thumbs up Good Service at Lowe's

I stopped in at my local Lowe's today and thought I'd see if they had the dado sets they are clearing out. I didn't by the dado set, but did pick up a couple of CMT 6 1/2" finish blades they were also clearing out. When I walked out of the store I realized the cashier only charged me for one. I went back in to pay for the second one, and to reward my honesty he only charged me $2 for the second one. Didn't require the manager or anything. He just took the initiative. Made my day.
    Last edited by Mark Godlesky; 07-27-2012 at 10:05 PM.

Blog Entries
    Good deal Mark.

PHM

I forsee a sudden career change for a lowes cashier in the near future...

Good on you!
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I forsee a sudden career change for a lowes cashier in the near future...
    Probably not.
    Not all cashiers have the ability to take a markdown @ the register.
    If the cashier had the ability to override the register, then the cashier had the authority to mark down the price.

6. Good for you! BTW, how much did the first blade cost you?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Probably not.
    Not all cashiers have the ability to take a markdown @ the register.
    If the cashier had the ability to override the register, then the cashier had the authority to mark down the price.
    I think what he meant was the original "sales associate" who missed ringing it up. I've noticed that several times myself, usually after I get my stuff home and check the receipt later. When they man the registers, they log in so admin knows who the ones are that continually under-perform on the job.

- Beachside Hank
    Do not use remaining fingers as push sticks.

My local Lowe's has decent personnel, but not as good as my local Home Depot. The Lowe's is hard to check out at, there are always too few registers open. My son-in-law, in Ohio, has the opposite experience. The point is that all franchise stores have local management, and a local policy, even though they are within the rules of the main franchise.

That Lowe's cashier might be finding a new job, as Rick suggests - or he may find himself held up as a good example of customer service. It all depends on how the local management handles the store. If this is a good employee with a good record then were I the manager I'd congratulate him for making a loyal customer by taking the initiative - if it was an employee with a track record of mistakes I'd fire him for that - not for the particular discount.

We can judge the quality of tool makers that the stores sell - do you want Craftsman, Ryobi, etc. But once you have the stores that sell what you want the choice is not the franchise as a whole - it is how well your local store is managed. And that will vary.

Best, Jon

When they man the registers, they log in so admin knows who the ones are that continually under-perform on the job.
    That's part of the reason....

I know a lot has changed in the >25 years since I was in retail managment,,,but,,I've noticed a whole lot has stayed the same.
    A manual markdown, taken at the register, isn't something than just anyone can do.
    The authority to over ride the system is usually limited to only the front end supervisor or an assistant manager or above.

I strongly suspect the cashier - especially at this time of year when a DIY store is at it's busiest - wasn't a regular cashier. More likely an assistant manager or a corporate managment trainee that had the authority to take that markdown.
    Part of the training program for retail managment is that the trainees are exposed to every aspect of every job in the store.

The point is that all franchise stores have local management, and a local policy, even though they are within the rules of the main franchise.
    Lowes isn't a franchise & the management rotates in/out just like any other corporate owned retailer.