One tool company that we don't hear much about here is AMT. I recall their advertising in magazines like Popular Mechanix for years. Somehow I got on their mailing list and they had their own catalog, selling machines like table saws, jointers, etc.

I got curious and googled them. They were a foundry that apparantly made castings for companies like Monkey Ward, Sears, and others. They started selling their own brand and the catalogs listed them without motors. You could use one of your own, or buy the optional motor, the optional saw wings, etc. Kind of like an A'la carte tool supplier.

Never bought any of their stuff, but they were around for years. Originally they cast their own tools, but in later years they farmed it out to Taiwan, just like everyone else.

I never owned one of their tools, but I wonder why they are never mentioned here? I also wonder why I have never seen one advertised on Craigs list.

Rick Potter

PS: Am I having a Senior moment? I seem to remember J. C. Penny selling power tools way back when.