Thread: Looking for a fence for a late Fay & Egan 552 Lightning Shaper

Looking for a fence for a late Fay & Egan 552 Lightning Shaper

Picked up this shaper for a song but doesn't have a fence. Anyone know where I can get one or if there is a aftermarket fence that will work on this HUGE BEAST? Table size is 42" x 42". Thanks for your help.

I think your best bet if you want the benefits of newer type fences is to look for an older Martin, SCMI, Felder, or Panhans fence and drill the top to fit, or mount to a subplate. You would want a fence with at least a 10" opening. Dave

What David said!

Many of the older shapers didn't come with fences, or had them as optional accessories. If you want something that would have a retro look for the machine contact Northfield as their new stuff still looks just like the old stuff. If you want something more flexible the newer fences David alluded to will fit the bill.....if you can find one! If your doing a lot of basic operations make your own fences out of scrap wood until you find something

good luck,
    JeffD

http://panhans.khan-it.at/downloads/si-tec_web-kl.pdf, Page 18.

They have a few options. One of there US distributors is Reibling, who happen to have a ware house in my town. Not cheap, but none of the decent ones are. Delta makes a decent fence they used to sell solo, it may be a bit small for that machine. Felder makes one they sell separately, you can see it on their site, I think it comes in around $1500 with the fence plates, which are sold separately, as you have several options there. Yup, a decent hood is going to cost you unless you find one used, but thats a rare scenario. If you are patient I've seen them a few times over on Woodweb in the machinery exchange, but its not a regular things. As for a Faye and Egan original? No clue where to start there. OWWM? In the short run you can run lots of stuff off a back fence if you fashion a cutter guard/chip hood, and a panel raising hood is pretty easy to construct too. When it comes to a micro adjustable split fence though, its hard to beat an a manufactured item IMO, unless you are a machinist with your own forge, but you would sell spend more time than its actually worth to make one.

There is an accura machine hood for sale on ebay regularly, stay away from that, its a pretty crude and small Asian powermatic knock off from the "old old old" school PM 26 hood, not great for a large machine, very limited capacity, dicey controls.