Thread: Need to order some acrylic

Need to order some acrylic

Ive been comparing prices on acrylic and it seems Calsaks have the best price by a long shot. 1/8" clear cast for 1.82/sf, cut to size and colored 2.10/sf cut to size. 3/16 is 2.70/sf and 3.19/sf. The catch is they want you to buy a whole sheet at a time. I spoke with them and they said they would sell me a half sheet which helps, but that still is alot for me, espacially when im hoping to get 4 or 5 different colors.
    Question:
    Has anyone dealt with them, any good or bad I should be aware of. They seem easy to work with.
    WOuld anyone be interested in ordering at the same time, each of us buying a quarter sheet, which for me i would have cut into 2-18x24 and 1-12x24. I know this would have to be cooridinated as far as colors and thickness but thought i would throw it out there. Would be worth the extra effort due to their prices being so low. Im a one man shop and just dont have the use for that much acrylic right now.
    Im flexible as far as thickness, 1/8 or 3/16 would work for me. Red, green, black, clear, and blue are hte colors im wanting to order.
    Let me know if anyone is interested in doing this, if not i will just get a couple colors now and then more later.
    They would ship out of the minneapolis warehouse.
    Reply here or email me at
    thanks Chad
    Last edited by Mike Null; 07-25-2012 at 11:04 AM.
    Chad Fitzgerald
    Hickory Grove Cabinetry
    Custom Woodworking/Laser Engraving
    Laser Pro Spirit 40W
    ShopSabre RC4 CNC
    55x49 cut area
    with 3 1/4 PC Router, 10" Z

Check with Delvies Plastics, you won't have to order a full sheet they have many standard sizes
    as well as a good color selection. I use them all the time.
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

HI Martin. I did check with delvies and was going to go that route until i saw the price difference.
    For example, 1/8" color at delvies is 4.50/sf, vs. calsaks is 2.10/sf
    3/16" delvies is 6.75/sf vs. calsaks is 3.19/sf
    We can get ttwice the material for less cost at calsaks. Thats why i was hoping someone might be interested in combining orders. for me its worth the extra effort and cooridination.
    Last edited by Mike Null; 07-25-2012 at 11:06 AM.
    Chad Fitzgerald
    Hickory Grove Cabinetry
    Laser Pro Spirit 40W
    ShopSabre RC4 CNC
    55x49 cut area

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Fitzgerald View Post
    HI Martin. I did check with delvies and was going to go that route until i saw the price difference.
    For example, 1/8" color at delvies is 4.50/sf, vs. calsaks is 2.10/sf
    3/16" delvies is 6.75/sf vs. calsaks is 3.19/sf
    We can get ttwice the material for less cost at calsaks. Thats why i was hoping someone might be interested in combining orders. for me its worth the extra effort and cooridination.

Chad is that cell cast acrylic? (Casaks) Extruded is quite a bit cheaper than Cell Cast. Both have different properties when it comes to the laser.
    I was buying local (St Louis) until I found Delvies, as the local shops wanted full sheet purchase and charge by the cut. Delvies was cheaper for me
    and I can buy what I need when I need it.

Most places will discount full sheets, but I'll have yto check with Casaks if it really is cell cast. I mainly use clear so that would even be cheaper.
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Hi Martin
    Yes it is cell cast. Thats why i asked about calsaks, i was surprised to see the cost difference.
    They also sent me two color chains, no cost which was way nice. hate paying for samples.
    I will be ordering, just hopng somone would want to split an order. (I am not trying to sell any, just wanting to network with someone.)
    Chad Fitzgerald
    Hickory Grove Cabinetry
    Laser Pro Spirit 40W
    ShopSabre RC4 CNC
    55x49 cut area

Chad

For what it's worth, it will ship cheaper if it's in quarter sheet sizes.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Im having them cut a quarter sheet into 2 - 18x24 and 1 12x24 pieces for me. the price i mentioned was for cut to size.
    Chad Fitzgerald
    Hickory Grove Cabinetry
    Laser Pro Spirit 40W
    ShopSabre RC4 CNC
    55x49 cut area

I have been very pleased with Calsak. Their customer service has been exceptional, they don't say they have an item in stock when they really don't, and they ship exactly what you ordered in a very timely manner.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

That is good to know. Ive been talking with Don and he seems very easy to deal with. Especially due to the fact they are targeted toward large companies and orders, seems very willing to work with us small guys.
    Are you close to SW wisconsin Mike? Ive been hoping to find someone somewhat close so i could check out someone elses set up. Like seeing how others are set up.
    Do you buy large amounts from them, colors, thickness?? Just curious, he said he is willing to split sheets as long as the orders are made at the same time. I talked with marc from vermont and we are going to split an order. however he cant sell to vermont(distributor areas issue)but will ship all to me and i will ship(not sell) to marc. even with shipping they are still cheaper than the others square foot price without shipping. (NOTE: I am not in any way advertising for calsaks or affiliated with them) just wanting to spread the word they seem to be a good company with very reasonable cost.
    Chad Fitzgerald
    Hickory Grove Cabinetry
    Laser Pro Spirit 40W
    ShopSabre RC4 CNC
    55x49 cut area

I deal with Bruce Martin at Calsak in Atlanta. They are great. The acrylic I get from them is cell cast and is cheaper than their extruded. The cast is imported, I think from Indonesia, but I have cut bunches and bunches of it. They cut mine to laser table size at no charge. Delvies and these other outfits aren't even in the race with them.
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

Chad, I'm not near WI. I have bought whole sheets from them in different colors & clear and 1/8 and 1/4 in size and had them cut it smaller. While it's more then I needed at the time, at least I am stocked up.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

Sounds like we've found a new plastics supplier--at least to me.

Here's their web site. http://www.calsakplastics.com/loc.shtm
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7