Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting a used table saw dialed in

Getting a used table saw dialed in

I recently purchased a Craftsman 22114 table saw and trying to get it dialed in. Need some help as to what is going on with it. When I bought, I cut a couple of boards and it wasn’t great but felt it could be dialed in. Now I’m not so sure what the issue is.

The arbor feels tight. I’ve checked the blade for square against the miter slots and fence. I'm using a fixed and adjustable miter gauges with feeler gauges. I've check the heel and adjusted it very slightly…it was off just a bit. That adjustment actually seems to have made the cut worse. I’ve used two different blades. One a brand new cross cut blade, and the other a 20 tooth carbide blade that was recently sharpened. I’ve put both blades on a 40 year old Craftsman radial arm saw I have, and the cuts are good using those blades with the radial arm saw. I rip a board and had the same issues, so it’s not the miter gauge or fence since it happens with both.

Here’s the cut with a new cross cut blade on the table saw.

Here’s the cut with the same blade on the radial arm saw.

Here’s a cut with the 20 tooth blade after I adjusted the heel.

What's the tooth count on the CC blade, and is the cut a true 90 degree?
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

The CC is a 60 tooth. It was a new blade the former owner had installed on this saw. Neither blades are anything special….but both cut decent on the radial arm saw. As mentioned to the 20 tooth one was recently sharpen. Once I figure this out, I’ll be buying a much better blade for the table saw. I used the same type of squares etc to align the radial arm saw as I have on the table saw, and it cuts good, but do I need to get a dial gauge of some kind to put more precision on the saw alignment?

Picture of the blades I’m using.

Picture of another cut I made with the 20 tooth on the table saw, with the blade raised so it was cutting halfway through the piece of wood. It tears out where the saw exits the wood.

Put a backer board behind it and see what happens.

As with all table saw problems is first make sure to align it completely !

here is a good guide for you:
    http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/Ma..._Tun_8197.aspx

Make sure you are holding the wood tight to the miter gauge , it helps to screw another board to the miter gauge
    miter.jpg
    make a sled for your table saw
    sled.JPG

make sure you have a good blade
    ebay # 320943845481
    decent blade for 20 bucks delivered

I do most my cross cutting off the table saw, It just is harder to mitre a 4' piece of wood on the table saw...
    good luck
    Carpe Lignum

Ia there excessive runout in the arbor?

The arbor seems tight. By runout...what are you referring to?

This is not just crosscutting but ripping as well, so it's not a miter gauge or fence or how tight I hold the wood to the miter gauge.

I've gone through the adjustments best I can. I've successfully aligned the radial arm saw a few times over the years, and done everything I know of as to adjustments on the table saw. Obviously I'm missing something. I even read on another thread about the tightness of the nut holding the blade. I've tried it TIGHT..and also hand tight. No change.

Think of runout as the blade not sitting perpendicular to the shaft. As the blade spins it will wobble making the kerf wider than the blade itself. Like those old wobble dado blades you used to be able to buy. A quick way to test would check if your kerf is much wider than your blade. The very acurate way to check it is to put a dial guage on the arbor flange and rotate the arbor and see if the needle moves in and out. Movement of around .001" is good. The runout is magnified as you move out to the tip of the blade.

Perfect timing. I JUST finished tuning my 22124 saw today using the A-Line-It dial indicator. The biggest issue with mine was the blade not being parallel to the miter slot and neither was the fence. Once I got those issues fixed, I used a triangle to check that the miter gauge was lined up perfectly to the blade. My tolerance on the blade to miter slot was less than 2 thousandths. Same with the fence, but went counter clockwise on the dial (per the instructions).

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Cummins View Post
    The arbor seems tight. By runout...what are you referring to?

This is not just crosscutting but ripping as well, so it's not a miter gauge or fence or how tight I hold the wood to the miter gauge.

I've gone through the adjustments best I can. I've successfully aligned the radial arm saw a few times over the years, and done everything I know of as to adjustments on the table saw. Obviously I'm missing something. I even read on another thread about the tightness of the nut holding the blade. I've tried it TIGHT..and also hand tight. No change.
    you said it got worse when you adjusted it,
    Go back and start over with the alignment follow the guide do each step
    Some saws the washers cup and and take the saw out of adjustment when tightened
    Your first and third picture also look like your feed rate was a little fast
    how many amps is the saw?
    could be under powered to cut 2x material
    Carpe Lignum

It's set to 110 volt. My feed rate was quite slow. I feel it's way underpowered and intend to go to 220v. I did that with my radial arm saw, and it was a huge difference. I'm hoping that will be the case with the table saw. But having said that, I was trying to get it dialed in before doing that.

It's the heat of the day, this evening I'll recheck everything. It's obvious something in the alignment OR...the ardbor/blade is doing something when the cutting starts that I can't see.

Cary, I visually watched the blade and arbor from start up to end, and I don't detect anything but what visually appears perfect.

Guys, should I get a run out dial of some sort? Any suggestions?

Is your arbor flange washers clean and free from rust/debris on it? That could cause your blade to wobble, and get that much tear out. Assuming that your blade is parallel to your miter slot.
    Does your wood burn on a rip? That would also indicate your blade is not parallel to the miter slot and/or fence. Looking at your pics, I would think that your slot is not parallel to your blade.

Take a good look at the belt, pulleys, pulley alignment, etc....something's not right, and it goes beyond the blades. Does the arbor nut snug firmly against the washer so that the blade doesn't wobble?
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

[QUOTE=Kyle Iwamoto Looking at your pics, I would think that your slot is not parallel to your blade.[/QUOTE]

I agree. It certainly looks that way to me too. I'm going back over and recheck all the alignments. I think my tools lack precision and perhaps I do to. This time I will clamp my square in some manner to the slot, then use the feeler gauges I have. I'll report back tomorrow or the next day.

Blog Entries
    The scorch marks on your 2 x 4 indicate that your saw is not aligned. Also don't use a 20 tooth blade and expect to get smooth crosscuts. You need 40 or more teeth to get a smooth cross cut. I'm an advocate of Freud Blades as they give superior cuts with a minimal price.

Do yourself a favor and go to your local Harbor Freight store and pick up a dial indicator for $20. Mount it to a block of wood with a wood screw. Clamp that block to your miter gauge so the dial indicator touches your blade. Mark a point on the blade near where the gullets become solid blade. Check the blade to insure it is perpendicular to your table top. Set the blade as high as you can go then back off about 1/2 turn. Set the dial indicator to zero on your mark on the blade. Rotate the blade so the marked area is at the rear of the opening while sliding the miter gauge to the rear and see what the indicator reads. Adjust the saw until the indicator reads zero. Once the blade is parallel to the miter slot use that same miter slot to adjust the fence. I can tell you from personal experience that setting a stock Craftsman fence to be parallel is a challenge and you have no assurance that it will stay that way the next time you move it.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 07-22-2012 at 8:15 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute