Thread: Is a 48" long by 12" wide slab cabinet door going to warp?

Is a 48" long by 12" wide slab cabinet door going to warp?

I am building some cabinets for my RV. They are long skinny overhead cabinets. I would like to buy or make a 48" long by 12" wide slab cabinet door that is paint grade. I am considering MDF or Baltic Birch plywood. Weight is an issue in an RV so I would prefer to use plywood. Will I have a problem with a door this long and skinny warping? Would it work if I attached some stiffeners to the back of the door?

My other option would be to buy some shaker style doors that have a frame if they will be less likely to warp.

i have shaker style door in my rv. i like the look better then flat panels. if you choose flat panel i think you would be fine with baltic birch plywood. you should consider so sort of edging for the plywood.

My RV is not at all fancy. If I do flat BB plywood doors I would route the edges. I am just painting the cabinets so no need for edging.

My main concern is warping on such a long door. If Shaker style doors would not warp compared to flat plywood I will go that route.

As long as you seal all sides and edges you stand a fighting chance. There are never any guarantees. I'd use at least 3-4 hinges over that span, which will go a long way towards resisting warping. I'd use BB for reduced weight, or ultraliite MDF if available, perhaps with an 1/8" solid wood edge band to give the edges more impact strength.

Any other comments/ideas?

Brian, the shaker door will probably be the best bet. At least 3 hinges for sure.
    MDF would be heavy unless ya use the lite-weight stuff. Then you'll have the edges to worry about.
    Just my vote.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

It seems like they make cabinet doors out of MDF all the time. Why would the edges be an issue? I'm leaning towards the shaker style doors as I have no cabinets in my RV right now except a few temporary ones I picked up at a local building materials reuse place.

Properly finished MDF will do very well in this application. I would stay away from Ultralite, it's very soft and the edges damage easily. I can dig a chunk out with my fingernail. Baltic birch can work also, but can be a little more hit or miss. I do a lot of inset slab doors with baltic birch. At about 50"x12" any deviation from flat shows. Honestly, more often than not, the first piece I grab isn't flat enough.

Weight is an issue with an RV, which should eliminate an MDF slab. My suggestion is shaker style with a 1/4" plywood center panel. I'd make 2" rails/stiles from poplar, and use 3 hinges on each o'head door. If the poplar is dry, flat & straight warping will not be a problem. I'm assuming you'll be securing the doors with latches which will discourage warping.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by scott vroom View Post
    Weight is an issue with an RV, which should eliminate an MDF slab. My suggestion is shaker style with a 1/4" plywood center panel. I'd make 2" rails/stiles from poplar, and use 3 hinges on each o'head door. If the poplar is dry, flat & straight warping will not be a problem. I'm assuming you'll be securing the doors with latches which will discourage warping.
    That sounds like a winner to me. Bound to be the lightest solution. Looks nice and should stay warp free. Can't ask for more.,.

I will need to buy doors if I decide to use Shaker style doors. I simply don't have the tools or space to make cabinet doors. All I have is a chop saw, Craftsman table saw, a Kreg jig, and a few other tools. I don't even have a router right now. I think I can make some cabinets good enough for my RV with what I have.