Thread: My Nephew the Woodworker

My Nephew the Woodworker

My 14 yr old nephew just spent a few days with me out in the shop. He has enjoyed helping me out in the past so I decided to have him stay a few days and work just with him. I gave him a few of my old tools and we started building him his very own toolbox. I found a plan in a magazine and modified it some to fit his needs and some nice boards I had. The primary wood is curly maple with walnut accents. The photos below show him with his first set of hand-cut dovetails and then a shot of the box test fitted. When done, the handle will be walnut; there will be a walnut trim piece along the top edge of the sides; and there will be a drawer at each end with beautiful curly walnut faces. Oh, and there will be a track and latch on each side for a saw. He really enjoyed what we did so far. I think he'll make a fine woodworker someday.

2012-07-18_11-45-30_830.jpg2012-07-19_22-20-22_951.jpg
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

Blog Entries
    Good way to pass on the craft.

I think I would have made the pins and tails closer to the same size since they will be supporting weight.

To each their own though.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Looks like he's off to a good start. His first dovetails look better than the last ones I did.
    Rodney

Blog Entries
    It's always good to see young people with an interest in woodworking......
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Good on ya for getting him started out on the right foot. My Swedish grandfather was a master woodworker and supervisor in the inlay department of Ludwich musical instruments. I can remember being in his basement and his wonderful old bench and tools. How nice it would have been to have had some guidance back then.
    During reenactments, where I make Windsor chairs, occasionally, a few kids will just hang around my booth watching me work. Some times for an hour or more. We need to encourage youngsters every chance we get.
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

Blog Entries
    I agree strongly, the more of that in the world the better.... your son is luckier than he knows. good on you!

I hope to enter some form of art therapy one day, and I can see woodworking being a wonderful tool for that. right now though it's healing me. lol

Nice To pass on a trade to the younger generation!
    where did you get the plans?
    Carpe Lignum

Steve, have your nephew look into 4H. One of their projects is wood working. The county fair is once a year. Project requirements vary by age group. The county fair comes along once a year, and members have to submit their projects for judging. Participants learn to meet deadlines, how to plan projects, and how to take constructive feedback on their projects. I encourage you to check out your local county fair and see the projects the youth in your area are making. It is a great program offering structure and accountability for our youth to learn through doing. Its too late for him to submit a project to this years fair, but timing is just right to get started for next year. Each county in Indiana has a U.S. Department of Agriculture county extension office. Someone there can give you more information about how your nephew can join a local 4H club.

Hats off to you for working with him. I wish I would have had a mentor at his age. He's lucky to have you.

Hey Stew, When you are done with your nephew, send him over to my place to show me how to cut dovetails!

That looks very nice indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe A Faulkner View Post
    Steve, have your nephew look into 4H. One of their projects is wood working. The county fair is once a year. Project requirements vary by age group. The county fair comes along once a year, and members have to submit their projects for judging. Participants learn to meet deadlines, how to plan projects, and how to take constructive feedback on their projects. I encourage you to check out your local county fair and see the projects the youth in your area are making. It is a great program offering structure and accountability for our youth to learn through doing. Its too late for him to submit a project to this years fair, but timing is just right to get started for next year. Each county in Indiana has a U.S. Department of Agriculture county extension office. Someone there can give you more information about how your nephew can join a local 4H club.

Hats off to you for working with him. I wish I would have had a mentor at his age. He's lucky to have you.

Thanks Joe,
    4H is a great program, and I knew many kids that were in it when I was in HS. However, I don't think he would have time for anything else in his life right now. He goes to school where he is at the top of his class, plays soccer both in school and on a traveling team, plays trumpet in the band, he is just finishing his Life Scout project and is already planning his Eagle Scout one, he goes to the local woodworkers club meeting with me once a month (as often as we can), and he when he finds the time he likes to come out and spend a day with me in the shop.

Stew Hagerty

He was pretty proud. He does real well with layout, sawing, and chiseling out the waste but he still needs some work on paring. He has trouble slicing away thin bits and wants to try and take it all in one shot.

Stew Hagerty

Sounds like he has plenty of other areas in his life that are building great life skills. Its great he can tag along with you to wood working club meetings.