Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jigsaws

Great thread. The Bosch sounds like a great jigsaw. I rarely use a jigsaw but would like to replace mine someday.

Seems like a lot of people like the barrel grip. I've always had the other style. What are the advantages of the barrel grip over the D handle?

There is no right or wrong. Some people like the D handle. Some like barrel grip. Whatever is comfortable

Hi Steven,

I just received the 470EB this week, I ordered it from Amazon at 139.99 and it was eligible for prime shipping.

I've used it only briefly but am planning to build 3 fence gates in the next couple of weeks and will be using the saw more. The saw is designed with good attention to detail and feels very well constructed.

I'll try and post more when I've used it a bit more.

Charlie

Festool jig saw is the only fes tool Ive ever sent back under the 30 day return policy.
    We own just about every tool Fes makes but bosch makes the better jig saw IMO
    Have had one 20 years as a daily user. When on the Carvtex - anyone ? Van you must know ?

While I cannot comment on the Festool, the Bosch I own is awesome. Every time I use it which is infrequent, I ask myself how come I dont use it more. I picked mine up in clearance for $100.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Robinson View Post
    Holey moley, there's a dust extraction accessory for my 1590?? It's an awesome jig and the only thing I've ever felt was missing on it was dust/chip collection!
    I have that one a 1587. I didn't care for the little clear plastic piece, it attracted fine dust which made it hard to see the line. Dust collection is quite good without the cover when hooked to a vac. Also think about hose management with the dust collection attachment. I have a Fein vac with its nice flexible hose and it can still be a bit of a pain. I didn't try just the bag, never had much luck with just bags.

The Bosch 1587 is an older design than the 1590/1591. It has a reputation for being rugged design but a problematic blade change mechanism.

It does NOT have the lower blade guides like the 1590/1591 that help the cut accuracy. According to Van, the Bosch JS572 will have them when it comes out. Also the Festool Trion has them although they have to be manually adjusted for blade thickness.

The dust collection on the Bosch 1590/1591 and Festool Trion is similar. You can use either without the plastic guard for good dust collection and good blade visibility or with the guard for better dust collection at the loss of some visibility.

The Festool 27mm non-antistatic hose is the least problem while working. The Bosch 30 mm is not bad and still has a rubber end that hooks on well to the tool. Festool antistatic hose that comes with Festool vacs is about the same. The Fein 30mm is OK for flexibility but does not hook up well to these tools without an adapter, which makes the tool harder to handle.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg R Bradley View Post
    You probably want to track down a Bosch 1590 or 1591 depending on preference for D Handle or Barrel Grip.

They both use the same blades.
    I just checked and Amazon has both for about $219 for the barrel grip and $239 for the D handle. With the T234X progressor blade you will get cuts as smooth as you get on a TS in hardwood.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Lee,

I think that Amazon generally does a good job of selling tools for a good price but there are better deals out there on these. When the rumors of their being discontinued were flying around about a year ago, they wanted $339 for the 1591EVSK, that is without the LBoxx and the dust collection.

My local tool supplier sells the 1590EVSL for $195 and the 1591EVSL for $205. They had a recent sale where the 1590EVSL was $164.

Toolnut and a few other have them for around $185 or so.

Home Depot seems to have done another of their dumb mistakes where it looks like a tool was priced by an MBA that doesn't understand tools. They are selling the 1590EVSL at the same price that they sold the EVSK, $179. The 1591 barrel handle kit is $2 more. That is a great deal IF they actually are the EVSL kits as stated. Be VERY careful of freight cost when buying from HD online. Sometimes they are fine, other times silly.

Lowes did a similar thing when they phased out the 1590EVSK and "replaced" it with the JS470. They sold remaining inventory of 1590 at the JS470 price of $139. I bought 7, which is probably 1-2 more than we needed. Maybe I should wait until they are collectable and try to get $339 for the two that are still unopened.

not much to add other than I have the festool and it has been fantastic for me. I never had a lot of midrange jigsaws to compare, but in the past I used a really poor Black and Decker firestorm that couldn't cut a stright line in anything.

the festool I love for its durability. I dropped mine recently and it fell right on the blade... literally bend the blade into a U. scared the crap out of me...and it had zero impact on the tool... next cut was still perfect 90 no wandering.