Thread: Where have all the woodworkers gone?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Impressive statistics! Glad to be back and look forward to another woodworking season, admiring pictures and stories of members' works.

Everything goes in cycles, and a forum is no different.
    I came over when Keith started this forum after the Badger Pond forums shut down. Sometimes I log on each day, sometimes maybe not for weeks at a time when I get busy.
    I've got to imagine that folks get busy, or that their lives and interest take different directions. Sometimes people just need a little hiatus also.

As for the where are the woodworkers question;
    There are plenty of them on the board with an immense amount of talent, and the generosity to share, and teach it to anyone willing to learn. Which was the premise from the start.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 07-20-2012 at 6:54 AM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Fishing, Little League, Vacations, Gardens, House painting, Kids and Grandkids, etc.

Demographically woodworkers are well educated, upper income with many and varied interests. (Probably also extremely good looking and beloved by kids and dogs.)

We see our tool sales change with the seasons.

Summer is largely sales to commercial customers.

In fall we will start selling more Woodpecker router lifts as people get ready for Christmas and get back into their shops.

In November and early December we get the really nice wives who want to make sure they get the perfect gift for their husbands. Our transaction costs go up because we spend more time on the phone with them but we really love doing it. (C'mon - Christmas, woodworking tools, a woman who loves her husband enough to take extra care with his gift. What’s not to love? Besides they are invariably nice ladies.) We make more money on big industrial orders but these are just plain fun.

January, February are industrial and ongoing hobbyist sales.

In spring sales pick up with construction and folks finishing projects before summer when they go fishing, etc.

This is definitely a broad overview. But, as an example, my son, grandsons and I are going to build two workbenches in his garage. One adult size and one kid size.

Tom
    I'm a Creeker, yes I m.
    I fries my bacon in a wooden pan.

Blog Entries
    Too many distractions in the summer for me. I surf the Creek, but seldom work on a project in the woodshop.