Thread: the Monster arrives...

the Monster arrives...

So I went all the way down to Mark's place, took this apart, got it loaded into my truck, got stung three times by an angry hornet, got stuck in a roadblock due to a massive wreck and all I have for "show and tell" is one lousy photo of the pieces in the back of my truck! I'm so ashamed…. but one pic is better than no pic so here it is sitting in my driveway waiting while we figure how to get it out again.

monster_lathe_1.jpg

I've got some thoughts on this. first off, I'm thinking about hanging the ballast off the back and not using the bed at all. That way, I would have unrestricted access to whatever is mounted on it. I have downloaded every pic I could find showing home built outboard tool rest setups. That is going to have to happen before I can use the monster. Also, I have a 1.5 HP single phase motor but I'm thinking that trading it for a 3 phase would allow me to use a VFD. As it is, I would have to use pulleys to get the speed down and that would probably involve building some sort of jackshaft to get enough reduction.

While I ponder these technical issues, I have some "cosmetic" work to do…

Also… I PROMISE to get more pice of the unloading than I did of the loading and
    Mark is a great guy and I am most pleased to have this monster and If I had not taken him up on his most generous offer, I might never have known how it feels to get three hornet stings all at once...
    David DeCristoforo

Oh oh. Sounds like some more of that candy red paint is going to end up on one cement lathe.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

David, this is funny, when Mark reposted the Monster build, I looked up his address and immediately thought of you, but Calf. being so big, I thought, naaah, David is most likely too far away. Looks like it was destined for you to have it. Can't wait to see the giant marvels that you turn. Good luck with the assembly.

Nice! Sorry to hear about the hornet part...but it does help add to the saga!
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

5. Man.......a bowl lathe...........hummm.........only half of the monster's potential if you do that! What about when you want a great big amphora on a steeeek? I mean why have a monster if you are going to do miniatures all the time?

Geez.......if I had that monster, I would be finding a way to fabricate or purchase a tailstock somehow, and bring the monster up to its full capabilities..........I'm just sayin....

I mean, I know you are all tired and all from that trip and hurting from those hornets stings........[I am truly glad you were not deathly allergic!] .........so we will give you a couple of days to get your head on straight about the future of this thing............ You can still turn big bowls on it with a tail stock, if you wish!!!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

"...only half of the monster's potential..."

Here's the thing(s)...

1) If I set this up as a "conventional" lathe, I would need to fabricate a tailstock and a banjo/tool rest. Not an easy task but obviously "doable".

2) If I am going to use this as a bowl lathe, the best thing would be to have unobstructed space at the front. Having a bed there would seem counterproductive. Plus, a outboard tool rest would be much simpler to construct.

3) Since this thing can be taken apart, it could be "converted" at any time if the need arose.
    David DeCristoforo

7. Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post
    " 3) Since this thing can be taken apart, it could be "converted" at any time if the need arose.
    Yep..........and space is a premium for you in your turning area, David. I would like to see you have that as a working plan B..... getting the tailstock and the toolrest assembly fabricated as you are enjoying the capabilities of the headstock end........nice to have fulfilment of all possibilities being worked on while you are in bowl mode.

.........you never know........you might wake up one sunny California morning with a shot of fresh inspiration for some large "steeeek" form, and that little Delta/Rockwell might not be able to handle it! Remember, you gotta protect your signature forms.........you could really impress with one of those amphora pieces .........say at about 24" in diameter!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Appears that somebody needs a bigger crane

I'm thinking for the tail stock you'd want the support to be floor mounted (like maybe two railroad rails right on the floor) so you could use it (pretty much) full size AND have tailstock support. In fact the rails could also be used for bracing the tool rest (or at least the near rail could be - thinking two locking contact points there with a post where you stand and a way to slide the assembly in/out...) and making sure it didn't jump. If you really needed to squeeze the last four inches out you could inset the rails into the floor, would also reduce the tripping hazard.

Man I can't wait to see what you turn on this.

Congrats again on getting the lathe! Sorry to hear about the hornets! Looking forward to seeing the monster all set up and in use!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Congrats Dave, I'm excited for you. You may want to consider lifting with your legs on this one.
    When you approach the lathe you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".- P. Harbeck

DD, can't wait to see pics of it set up...or at least of the parts you have standing in correct orientation. Really glad this found a good home, and it sounds like you met a cool Creeker. Other than the hornets, looks like the trip was well worth it!
    I drink, therefore I am.