Thread: Not Fuzzy Anymore

Not Fuzzy Anymore

I previously posted this when it was still wet and I could not sand it smooth. At the time, it was not warped and it was soaked in DO, but would not dry. After several weeks in a paper bag it finally dried and changed shape, but I was still not able to sand it smooth. I added a few coats of Minwax gloss WOP to stiffen the fibers and was finally able to get a finish with a lot of hand sanding. Russian Olive, 8-1/2" x 3-1/2" x 1/8". C&C appreciated.

IMG_1356.jpgIMG_1357.jpgIMG_1360.jpgIMG_1359.jpg
    Last edited by Doug Herzberg; 07-17-2012 at 3:04 PM. Reason: correction
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

2. That is a lot of work for an individual bowl, Doug. I have not turned Russian Olive as of yet, but what I have seen of it has pretty grain most of the time. On your piece here, all the sanding has taken away some of the soft growth rings and that makes for a more pronounced and wavy look to a piece........I have had the same issue with some oak I have turned a couple of times..........sometimes it is not avoidable.

Overall, this is a nice bowl........glad you were persistent with it!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I like this piece the best of the three. I like the texture that the sanding defined. Great color. I often wonder how my red green color blindness effects my personal taste.
    Deane
    Originality is the art of concealing your source.
    Franklin P. Jones
    Comments & criticism on postings welcomed.