Thread: Another block off the old Cottonwood

Another block off the old Cottonwood

It's gardening season and SWMBO says I have to finish at least some of those projects I started over the past ten years. It seems I will only have a few days in the shop this summer.

This is another from the cottonwood we had to cut down in Denver. It's my first experiment with WTF. To me it looks like it has dust in it when it dries. I try to be careful, but maybe it really does. I made the mistake of machine buffing and it melted like lacquer. Had to redo the entire finish. No cracks yet, but it looks like it may someday. 9" x 3" x 3/16". C&C appreciated.

IMG_1340.jpgIMG_1339.jpgIMG_1338.jpg
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

2. gorgeous bowl Doug........it may be the grain of cottonwood that raised because WTF is water based. I have gotten very smooth results with WTF, except for that elm box I did in the demo..........it is like I did not sand it except to about 150 grit, but I sanded it to 400 grit. For some reason it must have raised the grain and pores of the wood.........
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Very nice color and figure. Also like the shape and workmanship. That for sharing
    Member Illiana Woodturners

That bowl has more figure than a belly dancer Doug! High 5 for keeping it simple and clean!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Really nice bowl, very smooth. Cottonwod can be very pretty as this one demonstrates!

gorgeous wood . I'll keep my fingers crossed it does not crack..(I'm sure that will help :-) )
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Sure is some pretty wood! Hope the finish holds up!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!