Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dust Bee Gone Mask

Here's some things to consider. Any particle under 1 micron is the most damaging, these particles can (and do) travel all the way to your Alveoli (the pockets inside your lungs where the actual oxygen/CO2 exchange happens) Once a particle is inside your alveoli, it will be there forever, the cilia in your lungs cannot clean your alveoli. So getting these particles are the most important.

There are lots of options available for respirators/dust masks. The most important thing about the respirator is that you ACTUALLY USE IT. No matter how good the filtering, if it's uncomfortable or a PITA to use, then you are less likely to be wearing it.

I started out with the half face respirators and wore them under my face shield, but only when I had to. Recently I aquired a PAPR (Powered Air Purifying Respirator) Now I wear it ALL the time! I personally opted for a 3M Adflo system (not a cheap investment by any means) but it protects my lungs and my face, my glasses don't get sawdust all over them, and I can breathe when I'm done.
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

I worked in the air pollution field for 40 years and can provide some information here.

The inhalable fraction of dust- that which enters in through the nose and mouth- has an aerodynamic diameter of 10 microns and less. The dust from 10 microns down to 2.6 microns is captured by hairs in the nose, mucas membranes and other wetted surfaces in the upper respiratory system. Particles with an aerodynamic diameter of 2.5 microns and less enter the lungs and get trapped in the alveoli thus having a high potential for causing damage.

I hope this is of some help to the SMC members.

Don Geiger

I know jim duxberry and he is a great guy...im a member of the same turners club

Rick, it looks like the unit you purchased is for welders. Any reason you selected that over the 3M Versaflo? Do you do welding too? I'm just curious.

Please note that this is a 5 year old thread! If the subject is still of interest, please start a new thread.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

6. How well does this respirator work, while used with glasses and a face shield?

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Glen-
    I'd consider this one:

3M 6391 P100 Reusable Respirator Gas Mask.

It fits very well, comes with P100's and can be fitted with cartridges for solvent work.

I have a box of these also which I keep in my car for occasional use:

3M 8000 Series Respirator.

I think the 'disposable' ones are fine, but the fit tends to be suboptimal. The 6391 fits very well and is not fatiguing as some masks can be on the neck or cheeks.

The RZ mask claims 99% filtration down to 0.1 micron. I just got one and it is very comfortable to wear.

My safety glasses fit over the mask no problem.
    My face shield works great over it also.

As the OP, in spite of the age of this thread, I will state that I have been using an N95 mask over the 5 years or so that I have been turning. However, I have relatively recently changed to an RZ mask, and like Lynn, find it very comfortable. I think I prefer it to the disposable type of masks.
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

A friend has a Dust be gone and doesn't like it as it doesn't block fine sawdust. I just got one of these and so far like it.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    My money talks to me... It says Good Bye.