Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dust Bee Gone Mask

Dust Bee Gone Mask

I am exploring options for keeping dust out of my lungs. I'm not concerned about fumes as I don't spray. My primary concern is dust. The Dust Bee Gone website states that their mask will filter down to 3 microns, so it won't get the ultra small stuff. Is this sufficient?
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

In the particulate world, 3 microns is huge!! That is the exact size particle we nebulize for aerosolized medication because it deposits in the lungs with minimal effort. N95 standards seek to obtain 95% filtration of 1 micron size particles (from memory which may have faded) so the bigger ones...3m size are getting through. Remember that N95 masks that we use in the military, gov't & hospital service are specially fit to the user through a Fit Test so they will optimize filtration for that user. That is one reason there are so many different manufactures and styles of masks.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

3. That dust be gone mask will help and is better than no protection............however, if you want to avoid the damaging effects of wood dust in your lungs..........you should get the dust blowing away from you if possible with a fan at your back or side and if not possible, then an air powered respirator or a quality respirator like used for spraying finishes is needed. The small stuff like sanding dust does the real damage, and you need to protect your health..........you may not notice the damage for some time, but it is happening, and it will catch up with you one day like being hit by a truck!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

A mask that filters only to 3 microns is probably categorized as a "nuisance" mask and likely has a warning on the package that says "This mask will not protect your lungs." You should have a mask that filters to between .3 and .5 microns for real protection. A half face mask with dust cartridges that gives you that protection can be purchased for less than $50 (maybe much less). They are not comfortable to wear (for me, anyway) for long periods, especially under a face shield, but the alternative is a PAPR system that can cost between $250 and $1000+. Cheaper than health care, though, and something I plan to buy one of these days.

Glen-
    I'd consider this one:

3M 6391 P100 Reusable Respirator Gas Mask.

It fits very well, comes with P100's and can be fitted with cartridges for solvent work.

I have a box of these also which I keep in my car for occasional use:

3M 8000 Series Respirator.

I think the 'disposable' ones are fine, but the fit tends to be suboptimal. The 6391 fits very well and is not fatiguing as some masks can be on the neck or cheeks.

I was trying to stay away from looking like Darth Vader (and I was hoping for something both comfortable and unobtrusive) but it sounds like I need more than the Dust Bee Gone. I am going to look at the Trend Air Shield, but I want to be able to wear over-the-ear headphones with it (ear buds are not an option) and I don't think that is very doable.
    Regards,

Glen

I use 3M respirators similar to what Jim mentioned. They have N95 and N100. I think they seal as well as the half face with the cartridges. Both filter down to 0.3 microns, not 3.0 microns as the Dust Bee does.

The N95 run about $2.50 and the N100 about $7.00 (I use the N100) They are rated for up to 160 hours use (or about a year+ sanding for me). I simply store them open with the outside up (don’t store them in a baggie as they will have moisture from your breathe which needs to evaporate).

I do not have a beard so that may affect the efficiency if you have one.

I probably toss them after 30 hours use but have never kept track.
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

The 3M N100 (from what I can tell by photos) might be a decent compromise.

Just out of curiosity, is there a minimal acceptable sawdust filtering capacity? .3 micron certainly seems sufficient, but would .4 micron be just as adequate for a woodworker? How about .8? 1.5? Is there a threshold I should be aiming for or is it merely a "filter as much as possible" scenario?

Thanks for the great advice, guys.
    Regards,

Glen

I think the suggested range is between .3 and .5 microns. You should also check the percentage filtered at that size, and I think you want to be at 99+%.

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Blanchard View Post
    The 3M N100 (from what I can tell by photos) might be a decent compromise.

Just out of curiosity, is there a minimal acceptable sawdust filtering capacity? .3 micron certainly seems sufficient, but would .4 micron be just as adequate for a woodworker? How about .8? 1.5? Is there a threshold I should be aiming for or is it merely a "filter as much as possible" scenario?

Thanks for the great advice, guys.
    I'm really fond of 100% Glen, but then again, it's what I do for a living Don't forget the air in the shop too...all that stuff settles and is re-airborne through normal movement.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

I have used them all but my favorite for dust is a product invented by Jim Duxbury a member of the Caroliona Mountain Turners. called Resp-O-Rator availabe from Packard for $49. It doew not for glasses and can be worn with a face shield. It uses hepa filters. Check it out. Also go top his site and see the short video.

I've always wondered when filters should be replaced or when a mask should be tossed. With most filters, the reason we toss them is bkz they eventually clog and slow the airflow, which decreases the performance of the furnace, air cleaner, dust collector, etc.

But with a dust mask, I figure it should be replaced/tossed when it becomes hard to breathe. I replaced the filters on my 3m half-mask after about 9 months, but it's not like it was hard to breathe or anything. So, when is the right time?

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Blanchard View Post
    I was trying to stay away from looking like Darth Vader (and I was hoping for something both comfortable and unobtrusive) but it sounds like I need more than the Dust Bee Gone. I am going to look at the Trend Air Shield, but I want to be able to wear over-the-ear headphones with it (ear buds are not an option) and I don't think that is very doable.
    For music or sound-blocking? If it's for hearing protection, there are several over the ear headphones that work.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah Barfield View Post
    For music or sound-blocking? If it's for hearing protection, there are several over the ear headphones that work.
    I've got wireless headphones that I use at times. Music and talk radio.
    Regards,

Glen

This might sound a little gross, but this is what I've discovered in the last year and a half. Since 1978, I've had my own cabinet business and always used the nuisance mask when I was cutting a lot of wood or doing a lot of sanding. I found that after the day was over, I would have this need to pick my nose. The "stuff" I pulled( shoveled) out of my nose always had a color to it, and usually caused my nose to itch... I tried my painters respirator, and decided that was more of a pain than picking my nose. About a year and a half ago, I purchased some 3M 8511 masks, and now I don't ever pick my nose because of dust. My boogers are clean. This is a 34 year observation with no scientific study involved.... Just ma nose.. ......... hehehehe............. Jerry (in Tucson)