Thread: Oneida Dust Deputy, my thoughts.

Oneida Dust Deputy, my thoughts.

I bought the Dust Deputy Deluxe a few years ago but never got around to hooking it up. It sat in its box for a couple of years.

Recently I bought a Festool Midi vac. Inspired by the Wood Whisperers' shootout, I also bought the Ultimate Dust Deputy. I really like this setup. Only thing is, the Ultimate Dust Deputy would not accept the latches on the Festool. There was a very narrow vertical slot present in the UDD dust box but it was too narrow for the "web" in the plastic latch on the Festool. No mention in the instructions about this. Glad I didn't force the latch too hard and break it. It didn't take much to modify, I used a utility knife to widen the slits. Problem solved.

Now that I had the UDD hooked up I was motivated to put the regular Dust Deputy on my shop vac. The lid that comes with the bucket is kind of flimsy, but after all it is just plastic. If not modified you will find your DD starts to lean as the weight of the hose causes the lid to deform. Hey what do you expect for $80? In all fairness my setup may make the leaning worse, as I mounted the bucket on top of my shop vac instead on the side. So I have a lot more 2.5" hose hanging off of it. But I have seen pictures of other peoples DD and see the same "leaning" problem. So I took a piece of 1/2" plywood, cut a hole in the center to match the hole in the lid and bolted it in. The lid still flexed. Next I drilled 6 new holes through the lid and plywood near the outer perimeter of the plywood. This really stiffened up the lid. Makes the lid a little more resistant to removal as the whole lid is a lot stiffer, but it's not that bad. The DD does not lean anymore. So the DD is not without it's deforming issues... read on...

With respect to both the regular and ultimate dust deputy: Throw the rubber gasket away (the gasket that goes between the DD and lid). It is too thick and too spongy when bolting plastic to plastic. The base of the DD will deform as you tighten the bolts. I didn't over tighten for fear of damaging the DD. However, the next day the bolts were loose as the rubber gasket "set". I really disliked how deformed the base was on both units. So I removed the gasket on each unit and instead used clear silicone adhesive. Used maybe a 3/16" bead. Once bolted down the silicone filled the gap between DD and lid. The base of the DD was no longer deforming and it was much sturdier especially on the UDD (I didn't have to use plywood to reinforce the UDD lid). My recommendation to Oneida, forget the gasket, provide a small tube of silicone or just mention you need to buy a small tube. A sturdier lid for the DD Deluxe would also be nice.

I am happy with both units, but they are not an "out of the box" nothing else needed kit. Some fussing around is required.

If I were to buy another DD, I would skip the DD Deluxe, and pay a little (OK over 2X) more for the Ultimate DD. Nice sturdy box, has a little hose that provides suction to keep a dust bag in place and in general is just a more robust design. But either are decent as long as you fuss around with them a little.

Todd
    Last edited by Todd Brewer; 07-16-2012 at 11:09 PM.

Not sure if they still sell it but-- they had a metal version of the Dust Deputy cyclone that came with a metal bucket and it listed for $200 but would go on sale frequently. I have it and love it. No problems with sealing or collapsing. Only issue is you can't see how full the bucket is. Been a year now and I still am on the same bag!!

I'll echo Peter's response. Bought the metal bucket version when it first came out and it's great. I use it for my sanders, Festool saw, and biscuit joiner. While you can't see how full the bucket is, in my shop it takes a long time to fill. I think I empty it maybe once a year at most

good luck,
    JeffD

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kuhlman View Post
    Not sure if they still sell it but-- they had a metal version of the Dust Deputy cyclone that came with a metal bucket and it listed for $200 but would go on sale frequently. I have it and love it. No problems with sealing or collapsing. Only issue is you can't see how full the bucket is. Been a year now and I still am on the same bag!!
    When writing my post, I recalled that they had a metal DD. I was going to recommned that one and buy it if I ever wanted another one. I went to Oneida's web site but couldn't find the metal one any more (except for the really expensive "small" metal one). Now they talk up how great it is to see the dust swirl. I can't argue with that, as I do like to see it, but it kind of sounds like an endorsement of Clearvue. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    Thanks Dave,

For some reason I was thinking there was a metal one that was the same size as the dust deputy. Super DD is probably too big for a shop vac type setup. The plastic one seems to be fine as long as caulk is used instead of the gasket and the plastic lid is reinforced.

There used to be a small metal one. It was really heavily built, but Id guess the price made it unpopular--at least that's what kept me away.

Maybe this one: http://www.oneida-air.com/inventory.asp?CatId={2C6BB449-99F9-4CB9-BC27-CAF1BB570002}
    axd000002_md.jpg
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Sturgill View Post
    Maybe this one: http://www.oneida-air.com/inventory.asp?CatId={2C6BB449-99F9-4CB9-BC27-CAF1BB570002}
    axd000002_md.jpg
    This is the one I have and love it. I'm still saving for the dust gorilla, but it does a pretty awesome job attached to my shop vac. I know it's not optimal, but I use it on a 20" planer, 6" jointer, 18" bandsaw, and my OSS. The OSS needs quite a bit more volume to work properly. It really doesn't do much on it, but the planer and jointer it gets most of the chips.

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Sturgill View Post
    axd000002_md.jpg
    There it is!